SMTP-IN exists but not SMTP-OUT in logs

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
umutm

SMTP-IN exists but not SMTP-OUT in logs

Post by umutm »

Hi,

Once of the e-mails I was trying to send didn't reach.

I have checked the SMTP logs after that and saw that the "SMTP-IN" entry exists but there is no SMTP-OUT (which successful deliveries shall have).

Also checked the badmail and SMTP outbound queue but it is not there either. It simply disappeared with no traces (to me).

What does that mean? How can I locate the status of this delivery?

Thanks very much.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: SMTP-IN exists but not SMTP-OUT in logs

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

For the SMTP-IN section do you see a successful QUIT command? If so then the message will have been accepted by SMTP and the next step would be to check if the MTA has routed the message to the SMTP outbound queue for external delivery. Search the MTA debug log file for the same message ID in the SMTP-IN before the QUIT command.

You can also use the "Message Tracking" utility located within the administration console under: servers > localhost > System > diagnose > Message Tracking.

Here are some article to help you track messages as they pass through the MailEnable services:

http://www.mailenable.com/kb/content/ar ... D=me020252
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

umutm

Post by umutm »

Ian,

Thanks very much for teh update.

I didn't know this trace option. It deserves a better spot in the application :).

The logs don't have the QUIT command but only the SMTP-INs. What does this exactly mean?

Thanks.

umutm

Post by umutm »

Hi Ian,

As an addition, we didn't have the MTA logs active which I believe makes it impossible to track why QUIT command didn't exist.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

If there is no QUIT then the message was not fully accepted by the SMTP Service. You will need to search the SMTP debug log file for the message ID in the SMTP-IN to see what has occurred.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

umutm

Post by umutm »

Thanks very much for all the updates.

After that day, I have enabled all the logs and messages can be traced.

Yet, today, we have again experienced a non-delivery issue. When I traced the message, I see:
  • Trace: Tracing message with Message ID [E5CB1A3EF3C5443AA52E766DD5B0917D.MAI] from the SMTP Inbound Queue
    Status: Message ID [E5CB1A3EF3C5443AA52E766DD5B0917D.MAI] was routed by the MTA from the SMTP Inbound Queue to 1 destination queue(s)
    11/23/15 02:03:27 Queue Route: Message ID [E5CB1A3EF3C5443AA52E766DD5B0917D.MAI] was routed by the MTA from the SMTP Inbound Queue to the SMTP Connector (SMTP) Outbound Queue with a Message ID of [6081B819BD524216A17272788CE2963A.MAI]
I have checked the SMTP-debug and SMTP-activity files, there are no entries other than:
  • 11/23/15 02:03:26 ME-I0149: [6280] E5CB1A3EF3C5443AA52E766DD5B0917D.MAI was received successfully and delivery thread was initiated
And, in the SMTP activity, there are only 3 SMTP-IN entries with MAIL-RCPT-DATA but no SMTP-OUT entries.

And, I can't find out where this message has gone. Any ideas/help?

Thanks very much

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

You will find that the transaction may have timeout during the DATA command. The debug log file will contain more information. Search for the socket number within the debug log. I.e: [6280]
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support