Is it possible pass SMTP banner tests on any domains which are not also the default domain?

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
luket

Is it possible pass SMTP banner tests on any domains which are not also the default domain?

Post by luket » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:58 pm

I run MailEnable with multiple domains and only one of them (the default domain) passes SMTP Banner Check over at mxtoolbox.com

I have read all the posts I could find here and over at Plesk, and it seems that it's simply not possible - or I have somehow missed the answer. So I simply wanted to ask the question outright.

------------- configuration -------------

tamke.net (also default domain in ME)
Reverse DNS: 64.15.158.10 Points To mail.tamke.net
MX: @ MX 1h 10 mail.tamke.net
use mxtoolbox.com to Test Email Server, results: SMTP Banner Check OK - Reverse DNS matches SMTP Banner

game-master.net
Reverse DNS: 174.142.174.246 Points To mail.game-master.net
MX: @ MX 1h 10 mail.game-master.net
use mxtoolbox.com to Test Email Server, results: SMTP Banner Check - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner

uoangelisland.com
Reverse DNS: 174.142.174.242 Points To mail.uoangelisland.com
MX: @ MX 1h 10 mail.uoangelisland.com
use mxtoolbox.com to Test Email Server, results: SMTP Banner Check - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner

------------- end configuration -------------

So as far as I can tell everything is perfect and MailEnable simply does not provide anything but the default domain in the SMTP Banner guaranteeing all but the default domain fail this test.

If I am right there, there should be a clear statement to this effect - a warning when configuring anything but the default domain.

Thoughts? Feedback? Workarounds?
Last edited by luket on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luket

Re: (WORKAROUND) Is it possible pass SMTP banner tests on any domains which are not also the default domain?

Post by luket » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:15 am

Okay,

I've found a pretty good work around for the above stated problem.

I solved the problem by configuring one Windows Virtual SMTP server per domain/IP then Smart Hosting MailEnable to handle final delivery and other processing.

When email targets my game-master.net domain, it is first routed to a Windows Virtual SMTP server for that domain/IP.
When the remote SMTP server contacts my server, my Windows Virtual SMTP replies with:
220 game-master.net Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 7.5.7601.17514 ready at Wed, 3 Feb 2016 12:08:10 -0800 [656 ms]

This is good as my banner now matches my reverse DNS. I.e.,
SMTP Banner Check OK - Reverse DNS matches SMTP Banner

My Windows Virtual SMTP game-master.net then hands off the request to my Smart Host (MailEnable.)
This works great for all email, both in and out of my server.

But there is a problem with 'lists'
** LIST PROBLEM **

If I connect directly to ME without a smart host, LIST processing works as you would expect. But when I use the system described above, my email message sent to the list appears in the C:\inetpub\mailroot\Drop folder which is maintained by Windows Virtual SMTP, but I never see it hit my ME server.

I don't see any complaints on the virtual smtp side, and it never seems to even hit the ME server.

heh, and ideas?