Internal eMail

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
nickc

Internal eMail

Post by nickc »

I am teaching ICT to blind and visually impaired children and I am trying to set up a MailEnable server to provide eMail internally only.

The instructions as how to configure ME to not send emails out of the domain are clear, but unfortunately I cannot get that far as although we run a Windows Domain it is part of a larger municipal domain and I do not have administration rights to it, or want to interfere inadvertently with it.

What I am trying to do is set up ME on a Windows 7 desktop machine running IIS and a static IP address (No class is larger than 9 pupils and many are smaller, so this ought to be OK) and create individual user accounts to the ME system only. As part of the setup routine I need to add the Windows Domain and leaving it blank can't be done and adding a fictional one allows the install but then the management console will not allow mailboxes to be created as Windows domain authorization fails and times out.

The server would be accessed by ip address or a hostname in the hosts files of client machines.

What is wanted is an isolated system suitable for training (where mistakes can and will be made!) I don't want iffy emails leaving the school accidently which may attract unwanted or unsuitable replies.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks,

Nick

PS the differences between the documentation and the latest version have not helped, but I hope I have not missed anything obvious.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Internal eMail

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Using Standard edition will be limited in terms of sending policies. You would really need Enterprise version where you can set a global policy so that mailboxes can only send to domain users and not to external addresses. You could perhaps integrate a third party pickup event and create a rule to only send to domain users. One that comes to mind that could do this is MXScan.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

nickc

Re: Internal eMail

Post by nickc »

Unfortunately the Enterprise Edition solution is out price-wise as with only 70 blind and visually impaired children in the school we just do not have the resources.

My actual question however was how to get round the installation and mailbox creation issue - is there an answer to that?

Nick