SMTP Active Directory Authentication Works For Some Accounts

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
jcleland

SMTP Active Directory Authentication Works For Some Accounts

Post by jcleland »

... but not others.

v9.76 currently installed on windows server 2008. Active directory is being used for auth without fallback to ME. I'm using Outlook 2007 IMAP client.

The problem: One account imported from active directory is able to authenticate with ME -> AD, but others that I'm importing are not able to authenticate when sending messages (SMTP). All accounts receive mail without errors. The mail server resides on the DC. The accounts that are unable to send mail are enabled and I can log into domain computers with them successfully. I have tried resetting passwords, setting the ME password for the user (although this shouldn't be used for authentication given my PO configuration). The only significant difference I can see between accounts that authenticate SMTP and those that don't is that the working account is a domain admin. The debug log for SMTP doesn't tell me much other than that the account failed to authenticate. Outlook configuration for working and non-working accounts is identical. Ideas?

TIA

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: SMTP Active Directory Authentication Works For Some Accounts

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Have you inspected the Windows event log at the time the users are not able to send to see what errors are being produced?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support