Port 587 just stopped working from Thunderbird

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
SFjames

Port 587 just stopped working from Thunderbird

Post by SFjames »

Hi,

I installed ME two weeks ago onto a new clean install of Windows Essentials 2019. Has been working fine as a replacement for my 16 year old MS Exchange Enterprise Server.

Today this after noon outbound SMTP from my workstation and my wife's just stopped with an error that said that the connect was dropped in the middle. My iPad and iPhone work just fine.

If change to submitting on port 25 it works fine. With STARTtls. If I try to telnet to port 587 all I get is blank screen. If I hit return, I get tall skinny ASCII rectangles one per line as I hit return.

I am INSIDE my firewall. Nothing has changed today. No updates, nothing. What is going on with ME ?

Any ideas? Thanks, James.

SFjames

Re: Port 587 just stopped working from Thunderbird

Post by SFjames »

Well,

MailEnable seems to have a flakey issue with port binding. I double checked everything and nothing was amiss. I could not telent or set my port query tools to see 587. I went into MailEnable and removed the bindings, restarted SMTP service for the 50th time, and then reset the bindings to the IP addrees and cards and then restarted the SMTP service again.

It then starting accepting calls on port 587 again.

This concerns me. I hope that someone from MailEnable would take a look at this. I have not see flakey socket behavior since the late 1990's. What causes it to work, then stop.

This is a new installation of MS Server, it installed clean in one pass. ME installed clean in one pass. It worked for two weeks just fine. The it crapped out. Clear the bindings and force ME to rebuild them and it starts working again.

I thought my switch from MS Exchange Enterprise Server 2003 to ME was going to be fine. My only concern was if ME would prove to be as robust and bullet proof as Exchange over the long haul. I am now having my doubts.

James