how to configure ssl with mailenale

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
oslasi

how to configure ssl with mailenale

Post by oslasi »

Hi,

i am using the free version of mailenable and i am would like to make the mail server to work with ssl.

here are the points i have done:
1. created csr
2. installed the certificate in iis on the site mail enable webmail.
3. open mail enable -
3.1 localhost> ssl selected the certificate
3.2 under smtp > properties > inbound:
updated prot from 25 to 465
checked box ssl
updated IMAP, POP > properties as well.

when i send email from the mail server to gmail the email is being sent.
when i send email from gmail to my mail server the email doesnt get into the mail server.
after investigating i have found the information in my firewall, that the incoming email is being sent to port 25, it should be port 995
and the package is not getting to the mail server.i have made many tests with the configuration without success.

i would like to ask for advice how to configure the mail server to work with ssl, and why incoming packages are being delivered via port 25 and how can i change that to port 995 (pops)?

thank you

ori

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: how to configure ssl with mailenale

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

All mail servers will send over port 25 non-SSL. Therefore if your MailEnable server's SMTP service is not listening on port 25 and only 465 this will be why your not receiving emails from external mail servers such as Gmail. You need to set the default SMTP port to 25 and then configure an alternative port for SSL secure connections on port 465. This will allow your clients to connect securely on port 465 to send emails.

To make port 25 secure you need to leave this as non SSL and then set the option for "Only allow secure authentication (SSL and TLS)" using the drop down options under the port settings window (https://www.mailenable.com/documentatio ... bound.html). You will also need to enable "Inbound TLS" within the SMTP properties under "Inbound" tab and "Outbound TLS" under the SMTP "Outbound" tab (https://www.mailenable.com/documentatio ... bound.html). POP3 is only used to retrieve emails to an email client. It is not used to send/receive emails from external mail servers.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

oslasi

Post by oslasi »

Hi lan,

thank you very much for your help, my mail server is now working properly.

i have written a short article with images for the next one how will have the same issue
can read on: https://www.slasi.nl/nl/blog/how-to-con ... k-with-ssl

thank you

ori

samisadder

Post by samisadder »

hello,

if you have multiple domains installed on the mailenable, then one SSL certificate is enough?

thanks

ilhmreza

Post by ilhmreza »

Hello, in my mail enable version 9.52.
Doesn't have inbound TLS section in smtp properties inbound tab.

how can show or open the inbound tls section?

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

9.52 is about 8 years old, and it was added after your version. You should be able to do a straight upgrade to the current version 10 Standard to resolve this.