relay won't relay

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
tandersn

relay won't relay

Post by tandersn »

I am trying to set the relay enabled, and no matter how many boxes i check and how many times i restart the server, it won't relay.

This is on a private network, and the messages are from HW devices that only do basic port 25 smtp unauthenticated. The message needs to go out of the mail enable server to our ticketing queue, so an external address.

I have the "allow relay for privileged IP addresses" and have a list of ipaddress. It won't even work from 127.0.0.1 which is on the list.

Has this been intentionally disabled? Or am i completely missing something?

also, i can't search for the term "relay" because the forum search engine says it is too generic of a term.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: relay won't relay

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Open the SMTP debug log file to see why the relay is being denied. If you are not authenticating then you need to relay by being granted relay rights as a privileged IP address. Ensure to add the IP address of where your sending from to the SMTP privileged IP's can relay list under the "deny all - except those in the list" option.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

tandersn

Post by tandersn »

Hello, that is exactly what i have done. See attached picture, but the log still says:
503 This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address.

I've tried directly from the localhost using 127.0.0.1 and from the remote host using
Attachments
mailenablerelay.PNG
mailenablerelay.PNG (25.48 KiB) Viewed 10106 times

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Need access to the SMTP activity and debug log files. The SMTP debug will contain the reason/error as to why the relay was not granted.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

tandersn

Post by tandersn »

Just to follow up,

For some reason, it just started working...

Thanks.