Migrating from Exchange 2013 issues

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
MyHeadHurts

Migrating from Exchange 2013 issues

Post by MyHeadHurts »

Hi.

Currently attempting to migrate from exchange 2013 as a test to see if the business can get away from it.
I've tried using the Migration tool as EWS and as IMAP (which exchange supports)

Using EWS, regardless of using the correct domain/account combination as per MS testing site all I get is "SynchroniseFolderHierarchy::Exception/Failure::The request failed. The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized."

If I visit the EWS .asmx location using my browser it asks for the account login, and once given shows the API XML page.
If I use the microsoft testconnectivity tool (https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/tests/EwsTask/input) using the domain\username combo it works.

-------

If I specify the server as an IMAP server it STILL tries to connect the account as EWS, not IMAP.

Can anyone suggest a way to either make EWS work, or if IMAP is chosen to actually use IMAP?

Thanks!

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Migrating from Exchange 2013 issues

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Can you click on the "Activity" button under the "Monitor" tab where the mailboxes are queued within the migration utility. Check the username that is being used to authenticate and then use the exact same username when you perform your tests in a browser or via the Microsoft test connectivity website. As for trying to migrate via an IMAP strategy did you remove the EWS strategy first?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

MyHeadHurts

Post by MyHeadHurts »

Hi Ian

I've tried the username option, with and without domain, using both back-slash and foreward-slash (as sometimes Microsoft can just be Microsoft).
Once I got the test connectivity page working correctly I made sure that the migration tool was set the same way. When that didn't work I cycled through all the other options (again because... Microsoft).

Yes, when I first set up the migration it was as EWS. When that didn't work I deleted it and set it up again, this time as IMAP.

Can I confirm the options within the "Queue Mailbox" just so I know I have the exact format?

Remote Username: [domain]/[domain username]
Remote Password: [domain password]
Postoffice: [mailenable postoffice name]
Mailbox: [domain username]

so if the user was [Jon@smith.com], on the domain [smithson] with the username [jonS] domain password [1234] and the mailenable postoffice was [smith.com] it would look like:

Remote Username: smithson/jonS
Remote Password: 1234
Postoffice: smith.com
Mailbox: jonS

MyHeadHurts

Post by MyHeadHurts »

If it help, this is the [redacted] Activity output, running it again this morning.
everything sensitive has been replaced with square brackets stating what they represent.

MigrateMailbox: Creating EWS Migration Object
MigrateMailbox: Configuring SSL Channel
MigrateMailbox: Configuring Credentials for Impersonation using service account [domain password]
MigrateMailbox: Impersonated user email address is [email address]
MigrateMailbox: Discover and Verify Service URL
ServiceURL: https://[corrent domain URL]/ews/exchange.asmx
MigrateMailbox:: Resetting Progress
MigrateMailbox:: MailboxSynchronisationState.Load
MigrateMailbox:: SynchroniseFolderHierarchy for username [domain]/[username]
SynchroniseFolderHierarchy::Querying Exchange Folder Hierarchy
SynchroniseFolderHierarchy::Current SyncState:
SynchroniseFolderHierarchy::PropertySet Count:0
SynchroniseFolderHierarchy::Exception/Failure::The request failed. The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.
MigrateMailbox:: Failed to sync folder hierarchy

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Best way forward would be to lodge a support ticket and provide access to the log files and MailEnable server so we can troubleshoot in more detail. If you use the [domain]/[username] reported in the migration utility activity log exactly the way its formatted to authenticate via the EWS URL does it work?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support