Removing "Migration Centre" and "Migration Service"

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
Sissy Princess

Removing "Migration Centre" and "Migration Service"

Post by Sissy Princess »

I installed Mailenable Standard v10.34 with the optional "Migration Centre." Realizing that I won't be needing the Migration Utility and it's associated Mailenable Migration Service, I want to uninstall (remove) them.

I have been unable to locate a feature to remove them and cannot find a any article that explains how one removes the Migration Utility and associated service.

I could not find anything about uninstalling the Migration Service or Utility in:

The Migration Utility application
MEInstaller.exe
MailEnable MMC
The MailEnable forums
The MailEnable knowledgebase
The online MailEnable Standard Guide
The installed MailEnable Standard Guide.pdf
The installed MailEnable System Manual.pdf
The installed MECapture.pdf (Start menu: Migration Capture Utility Documentation)

I tried reinstalling Standard v10.34 over the existing v10.34 installation, but this time with "Migration Centre" unchecked The utility and service remained after the re-installation and reboot.

I really tried to do my homework before asking for help, but now I am asking for help. Did I miss something obvious?

I tried to compose this with a Subject that would let others find it easily in the future if they are seeking the same information.

Thanks in advance.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Removing "Migration Centre" and "Migration Service"

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

You don't need to uninstall it. Open the migration utility and navigate to the "Advanced" tab. Just ensure the utility is set to disabled. Then open Windows administrative tools > Services and set the "MailEnable Migration Service" to "Disabled" and stop the service.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

Sissy Princess

Post by Sissy Princess »

Hi,

Thanks Ian. That's what I had done on my own, but I was almost sure that I had missed something about how to uninstall it. Apparently it's a 'now and forever' option during an installation; If you ever install it, with any version, it remains for all eternity.

If it's not checked during installation of future updates, does that mean that the Migration Utility/Service version may end up with a version mismatch with the then-later version of MailEnable?

Thanks again; I really appreciate your quick answer to my question.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

No if you select to install it in a future update it will replace the files its needs to replace.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

Sissy Princess

Post by Sissy Princess »

Hi,

I was not clear. I'm asking what happens if I never install Migration Centre again.

Then the version of Migration Utility/Service on disk will fall further and further behind as I upgrade the rest of MailEnable, right? And if someone enables it a few years from now, not knowing it's out of date, that might be a bad thing, right?

Thanks again.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

It could be. But just run the latest kit if you need to do a migration and select to install it.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support