sending mail?

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
juggernaut

sending mail?

Post by juggernaut » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:57 pm

I have been trying to send mail for over 3 days and can not seem to get this to work. I have a dedicated box with standard installed. DNS points to the box with no issues. mail.domain.com resolves just fine. I constantly get 503 errors stating authenication errors. user name and password are correct. I can receive mail with no issues what so ever. I have read all the docs and even had 2 other eyes look over the configuration other then myself who are well knoweldged in mail servers. I have been told that in order for me to be able to send mail to my box and have it go out to someone else. I need to purchase the pro version? is that correct. all the documents state otherwise. my relaying is set to only allow access for authenticated users (IE default set up there). I have tried using ip addys in the client and domain name. they are touching the box but the box just says no way... Any ideas? heck I'll pay someone to get it working. all the online stuff i have read here is no help. i have the setting set the why the documents and online help state to set it. thanks...

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:28 am

Hi,

Have you setup your mail client software correctly? Ensure you have "My server requires authentication" in the account properties for your emial client program.
The following Kb article explains how to setup mailenable to access POP and SMTP:
http://www.mailenable.com/kb/viewarticl ... 020198.htm

regards,

itobin

Post by itobin » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:40 am

it should work with standard, however Im having exactly the same issue.

I have authentication enabled and my client is set up exactly how it should be and it still brings up the error about it requires authentication.

I even installed another mail server software (MDaemon) to test and that works perfectly fine.

I removed that then put mailenable back on and guess what, same error.

I even tried using outlook directly on the server, mailenable accepted the emails but then they just disappeared, didn't route to any other systems, no errors or anything.

I think this is a good idea of a product but in reality its not something you want to be using for hosting on a live system as its just not reliable enough.

OwenD

Post by OwenD » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:32 pm

itobin wrote:it should work with standard, however Im having exactly the same issue.

I have authentication enabled and my client is set up exactly how it should be and it still brings up the error about it requires authentication.

I even installed another mail server software (MDaemon) to test and that works perfectly fine.

I removed that then put mailenable back on and guess what, same error.

I even tried using outlook directly on the server, mailenable accepted the emails but then they just disappeared, didn't route to any other systems, no errors or anything.

I think this is a good idea of a product but in reality its not something you want to be using for hosting on a live system as its just not reliable enough.
What is the name of the post office and what format are you passing the user name?

ME requires user@postoffice NOT user@domain

If you are getting authentication issues then the problem is in how you have configured your mail client, not in ME itself.
Myself and plenty of others use ME on live servers with no problems.
If you want help to get it going you have to read the KB's and post questions that give specific details as to how you have set up both ME and your client.

cheers,

Owen