Problem with SMTP

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
Seandals

Problem with SMTP

Post by Seandals »

Hello, I am having a few problems with my Mail Enable and I was hoping I could get some help. I have the Plesk control panel so I thought that everything would be configured automatically, guess I was wrong.

I cannot connect to the SMTP server to send outgoing mail through outlook, and if I attempt to send outgoing mail through my webmail or using a PHP or ASP script, i get bombarded with Delay messages. Here is the exact contents of the delay messages that I am getting ...
MailEnable: Message delivery has been delayed.

Message is waiting at domain.com for delivery to mx.west.cox.net.

Reason: Mail Server for cox.net could not be contacted at this time. MailEnable will keep trying to deliver this message and will notify you of any progress.
In the debug the only Warn's I get are, "The socket connection to the remote host failed. The host was either not contactable or it rejected your connection." There are lot of them, for all different domains (Gmail.com, cox.net, hotmail.com etc).

I think its quite odd that it actually says "domain.com". I think its a config problem but i have no idea on how to correct it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, the mail server that I am sending too has no bearing, i get a delay message regardless.

Thanks

SMTP problem

Post by Guest »

I also have the problem. I have tried many setting and with different domain (receiver's domain)

My error message are as below
The Socket connection to the remote host failed. The host was either not contactable or it rejected your connection.

Anyone can help me?

Thanks!!

Seandals

Post by Seandals »

Glad to know its not just me, ive tried everything that i've found searching on the web and nothing works :S

Please Help !

Sean

OwenD

Re: Problem with SMTP

Post by OwenD »

Seandals wrote:I think its quite odd that it actually says "domain.com". I think its a config problem but i have no idea on how to correct it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, the mail server that I am sending too has no bearing, i get a delay message regardless.

Thanks
If the error actually says "domain.com" then it is almost certainly and error in the configuration of the web mail you are using. i.e. You've forgotten to change "domain.com" to your domain most likely.
If it works using a standard mail client then the config error is most likely not in ME.
You can do a search for any files containing that string. That should give you a run up start.

Seandals

Post by Seandals »

I still havent been able to resolve this problem, i totally uninstalled ME and reinstalled, it no longer says "domain.com" but i still have all the same problems.

Sean

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben »

Try to telnet to the remote server and see if you can get a connection that way, possibly your IP is being rejected or the remote server is rejecting you for some reason. If you cannot telnet to the remote server then check your firewall/proxy and ensure you can get connections outbound.

Could be worth ensuring you have a reverse PTR record also.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.

wanderer0621

SMTP not sending...

Post by wanderer0621 »

This is an older post, but I've been trying to fix this problem for about 2 weeks now. my rDNS is set up for all my clients.

I've parsed the logs, and can see why a couple of them failed. Invalid addresses, mailbox full etc.. but why do they remain in queue continuing to be resent every few hours?

I looked all over in Plesk and did not see a setting. I also did not see a setting in the mailenable snap in MMC..

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben »

If a message delivery failure is temporary then the message will be retried for the message life time. This can be configured in the SMTP properties.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.