MailEnable (Plesk) SMTP relay problem...

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
Solidit

MailEnable (Plesk) SMTP relay problem...

Post by Solidit » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:33 am

Hey guys,

I've been trying to figure out a problem with our MailEnable install (that came with Plesk 7.5.4) for a little while and was wondering if anyone else came across such a problem.

The problem is that we are not simply able to relay mail from the server at all. All relay attempts end up with the following error message:
"The socket connection to the remote host failed. The host was either not contactable or it rejected your connection." The occurs for both scripts run from the server and when telnetting to port 25 directly on localhost. However, I am able to successfully telnet to external mail servers on port 25.

I'd like to point out that I've already thoroughly searched through this and a few other forums as well as consulted google before posting and have already tested the following successfully:
rdns
sending mail via "telnet EXTERNALMX 25" from command prompt on server.
nslookup via cmd on server to resolve MX of target domain.
Ensured that mailenble is only relaying for 127.0.0.1 and nothing else.

I'm quite baffled at the moment. We have enabled IIS SMTP on port 8025 for the time being, but of course we'd like a better solution.

Cheers, and thanks in advance.

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:47 am

Can you send to the server itself without problems? Are you bindings in the SMTP inbound set to bind to all? Do you have TCP/IP filtering turned on?
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.

bozak

similiar issue

Post by bozak » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:28 am

For some domains (aol, yahoo), sometimes ... I get the following message

The socket connection to the remote host failed. The host was either not contactable or it rejected your connection.

How is it possible to see what the reason of failure was?
I looked in SMTP debug, but didn't see anything to helpful (except for that it failed).

What causes this socket failure, and how can it be diagnosed. I'm losing clients left and right with this PLesk/mailEnable configuration. ME by iteself was no problem.

Since integrating with plesk, it has been problem after problem.

???