Urgent Problem. Read and send mail.

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
IronMike

Urgent Problem. Read and send mail.

Post by IronMike »

Hello. I have installed and configured Mailenable on my server (IP 192.168.1.52) with Windows2003. I have activated a account with no-ip.com and have set up record MX correctly.
all works correctly if set as server POP and SMTP, on one of the client connects, IP address 192.168.1.52, but does not work if I try to use like server POP and SMTP myname.no-ip.info.
The diagnostic test says to me that all ok, only that I cannot read the mail from client connected to Internet.
The service works because if I send a mail, from web, on my address myname@mymane.no-ip.info, I receive it correctly, on PC in my LAN.
Who can help me?
Thanks.

Bortel

Post by Bortel »

I'm not sure that I understand your question 100%.

I believe that you are saying than (internal) users within the LAN can connect to the POP and SMTP services by setting "192.168.1.52" as the server name (and not "myname.no-ip.info") when configuring their MUAs.

If my understanding of this question is correct (and unless I'm missing something obvious), what difference does it make as long as they have connectivity? Why would you want local users to go out on the Internet only to come back to your internal server?

A simple hack to accomplish what you want, provided that you only have a few local users, is to add the following entry to their machines "hosts" files " 192.168.1.52 myname.no-ip.info" (omit the quotes " ").

Good luck!
Bortel

IronMike

Post by IronMike »

There aren't problems in the LAN.

I would want, if it's possible, for a pc connected to Internet not to my LAN, to connected through Outlook to its mailbox on my server and download mail like a pc in my lan.

Actually it's not possible. Outlook says that POP and SMTP server, when i use myname.no-ip.info: "Impossible to connect to the server..."

In fact when i try to connect through TELNET to my mailserver typing: "Telnet myname.no-ip.info 25" prompt says that is impossible to connect on port 25.

P.S. Sorry for my english :wink: , i know it's not good.

In few words: if you go to Standard Configuration Guide on page 51 there is an example. I can't do it!

Bortel

Post by Bortel »

It sounds like your ISP or your firewall is/are blocking incoming ports 25 and 110.

Make sure that you open those ports on your firewall and try to telnet to "myname.no-ip.info 25" and "myname.no-ip.info 110".

If that doesn't work, open ports 1100 and 2525 on your firewall, change the POP3 port to 1100 and the SMTP port to 2525, and then try to telnet as above (with the new port Nos.).

Good luck!

PS: Your English is better than that of many native speakers, no need to apologize.
Bortel

IronMike

Post by IronMike »

i tried to open port 25 and 110 (or 2525 and 1100) but it doens't function.
So i disable firewall and try to telnet (first with 25/110 and then with 2525/1100) without results.
what i can do?
At this point i think that there is a problem in a configuration parameter... it's possible?

Bortel

Post by Bortel »

IronMike:

If you want to send me your real domain name with no-ip.com in a private message, i'll try to see if I get a response to telneting and tell you what it looks like from my end.
Bortel

IronMike

Post by IronMike »

Thank you. Later i try to connect with my server from a pc of a my friend.
Now i have another question.
In Italy there is a Internet Provider called "LIBERO" (http://www.libero.it). So, when i try to send a mail from my no-ip.com account to one of my mail with LIBERO i have an error. Here i report the problem:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MailEnable: Message could not be delivered to some recipients.
The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

Recipient: [SMTP:myname@libero.it]
Reason: Remote SMTP Server Returned: 554 Service unavailable; Session from [82.49.xx.xxx] blocked. Please write to block@postmaster.libero.it Reason Code: SMTP Outbound - General Error Error Number: 0

Message headers follow:

Received: from ([127.0.0.1]) with MailEnable ESMTP; Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:24:27 +0100
To: <myname@libero.it>
Subject: I:
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:24:24 +0100
Message-ID: <000b01c5f4f0$98f2e230$3301a8c0@dell9300>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-Priority: 1 (Highest)
X-MSMail-Priority: High
X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook 11
Importance: High
Sensitivity: Company-Confidential
Thread-Index: AcX08I8Kui+F/uYgR0OI6iLcPjsdrgAAAUfg
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2670

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hava you an idea on the error's cause?

Bortel

Post by Bortel »

Good morning IronMike (at least where I am):

Check your IP No. here: <http://rbls.org/>

If you get a positive, I would venture to say that you have your answer.

By the way, you should probably have started a new topic for the new problem.

Good luck!
Bortel

IronMike

Post by IronMike »

if background is red i have to update my ip because mail from my server are considered spam. but if background is green all is ok and i have to start a new topic because there is another problem. is it right?

Bortel

Post by Bortel »

Hello IronMike:

Sorry I took so long to reply, unfortunately, work is interfering with pleasure.

My comment that "you should probably have started a new topic" had nothing to do with rbls.org.

All I was suggesting was that, if you have a new problem, you start a new topic on this message board.

By the way, have you made any progress resolving your first problem?
Bortel

IronMike

Post by IronMike »

Today and tomorrow i'm not at home and i can't try. when i came back i'll send an e-mail and post result.:wink:
Bye.

mrjdesign

Post by mrjdesign »

A simple question in this, bearing in mind I dont know to much about DNS on Win 2k3 but as far I guess, you cannot do a direct domain lookup like that if you dont run a DNS server as well.

You must specify that DNS server as primary to your subnet workstations and allow them to lookup your internal domain before being able to route any connection to the local server.

Now, keeping this in memory, the next thing is very simple to conclude.

Libero.it is causing much trouble for a friend of mine too.
He cannot connect properly to his own pop3 account while being in the UK.

But more importantly so, libero.it would have no clue what your local servers domain name is unless you leave the mailenable on a public port and specify in the public DNS records for your domain, that mail.YourDomain.com (for instance) is located on your public IP number.

So yes, you cannot send or recieve becuase they cannot perform a reverse lookup on you and the IP number is not neccesarily a proper email address, though permitted (read required) according to RFC1123 (http://www.dnsstuff.com/pages/rfc1123.htm)