Webmail 2.02 Bug: "Your session will timeout in 30 seco

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
ALLPRO

Webmail 2.02 Bug: "Your session will timeout in 30 seco

Post by ALLPRO » Mon May 01, 2006 9:52 pm

There is an annoying bug in the Webmail, and unfortunately the offending Javascript code is buried in a DLL where I cannot fix it.

The "List.aspx" file has this code (as seen in 'View Source'):

Code: Select all

function Reconnect () {
  var refresh;
  document.all['BGSOUND_ID'].src='/default/skins/Aqua/newemail.wav';  // play a sound
  refresh = confirm ("Your session is about to timeout in 30 seconds. Do you wish to stay connected?");
  var img = new Image(1, 1);
  if (refresh==true) {
    img.src = '/default/lang/en/Forms/Reconnect.aspx';
    count++;
    window.status = "Server Refreshed " + count.toString() + " time(s)";
  }
}

window.setInterval ("Reconnect()", 3570000);
The problem with this code is that 'Reconnect()' is called repeatedly - FOREVER! Even if choose 'Cancel' - do not reconnect - it will still popup a 1/2 hour later. But of course by then the session has timed out, so this is a bogus message.

The solution is to assign the 'Interval' to a variable, like:

var giTimeoutInterval;
  giTimeoutInterval = window.setInterval ("Reconnect()", (1000x60x60x59.5));
Then in the Reconnect() function, add this:

if (refresh==true) {
    img.src = '/default/lang/en/Forms/Reconnect.aspx';
    count++;
    window.status = "Server Refreshed " + count.toString() + " time(s)";
  }
  else {
    clearInterval (giTimeoutInterval);
  }
Lastly, I recommend more than a 30-second warning - 1 to 5 minutes would be better. Users are often on the phone or otherwise occupied for a few minutes, and by the time they respond to the message, it is too late!

Alternatively, you could add an option to 'keep alive' the session. OR add code so that any key press or 'scroll' would call 'Refresh()' - this would mean the 'timeout counter' on the server would not start as long as the user was doing anything on screen.

I expect there will be many more such bugs, but at least this one is easy to fix - 5 minutes tops!

Thanks in advance

/Kevin

kiddailey

Post by kiddailey » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:14 pm

Has there been an update to this issue or is it still outstanding?

And on a somewhat related note, is there a way to change the session timeout so that it can be longer than 30 minutes or just disable the timeout and/or javascript alert altogether?

DaRocker22

Post by DaRocker22 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:18 pm

This bug is still exists and is very annoying. Sometimes when i'm inactive for awhile, I'll come back to my computer and click cancel on the button, and will have to will have to click it several times after that, because it had popped up like 5 or 6 times, and sometimes after I have clicked cancel several times and have been inactive for more than a hour, i'm still logged in and can read mail with out having to re-login.

ALLPRO

Why Not Make WebMail Source Code Available?

Post by ALLPRO » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:25 pm

I have had to long since abandon the version 2 Webmail client, and return to using version 1.x. At least in the the old ASP version I can 'fix' problems like this and enhance it where I need to.

It's bad enough the .NET version is still as poorly designed as the old version, but it is disappointing that they can't even fix a little bug like this - especially when new code is handed to them!

:idea: MAILENABLE - IF YOU ARE LISTENING...

Why not make available the codebase for the "Pro" version of Webmail and create an infrastructure where people can submit back upgrades/enhancements to you? This could be sort of an 'open-source' model. You could potentially end up with some really great features virtually for free. If you don't want to upgrade the 'official version', then at least users could share their enhancements among themselves.

In the meantime, I'll continue using the old version so that at least I can improve on some of the poor usability design. 'My version' now has a resizeable and collapsable preview pane; many screens have had their design improved; users can set a subject for Auto-responders; etc.

I'd be happy to share any of this. And since I have very little time to spend on additional enhancements, I'd also love to be able to get and use things done by other developers. (I'm sure they are out there)

Webmail is a BIG DEAL these days, so the problems with your current versions seriously DETRACT from an otherwise outstanding product. And no, I do not want to upgrade to Enterprise just to get a slightly better Webmail, especially since I do not have confidence that it woud really be much better!

This is something to consider if you are looking for a relatively cheap to improve your product.

DaRocker22

Post by DaRocker22 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:02 pm

ALLPRO, once MailEnable releases the API for the .NET Webmail I am planning on developing my own web interface, and will probably setup a project out on sourceforge.net, so everyone can contribute to making the webmail feature alot better.

ALLPRO

New Webmail from Scratch is Great Idea

Post by ALLPRO » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:55 pm

ALLPRO, once MailEnable releases the API for the .NET Webmail I am planning on developing my own web interface, and will probably setup a project out on sourceforge.net, so everyone can contribute to making the webmail feature alot better.
:D This is a great idea. Someone needs to take the time initially to create a better 'framework' for the app. The current design is unnecessarily complicated by frames within frames within frames.

The only practical solution is a complete GUI rewrite (which can still utilize much of the same backend code). Once a more up-to-date and modular interface existed, it would be much easier - and more worthwhile - to make it all work and start creating new enhancements. I have been tempted to start such a thing, but I know that I just could not devote enough time. I am already way behind on my paid projects!

Although I can contribute backend code, my strength is in rich GUI design and usability analysis. So if you ever get this project off the ground, let me know on this thread. I may be able to help by contributing suggestions on a new framework, some interface mockups and feature lists for the various screens.

Ciao,
Kevin Dalman