ME baysean or Mailessentials?

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
lschafroth

ME baysean or Mailessentials?

Post by lschafroth » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:49 am

It appears the filtering in Mailenable pro is pretty lacking. Having to keep 1000 plus emails and manually creating a dictionary is kind of pice mailed together.

I used to use Mailessentials on Exchange server. It learned and filtered from the get go. It would get updates to it's dictionary from their site for free.

Does anyone know of a good product that works with Mailenable until they get their filtering functional?

LS

rockinthesixstring

Post by rockinthesixstring » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:37 pm

if you do some searching in this forum you will find a great way to have the ME Bayesian filter do its own learning (without using autotraining). the script copies messages from your spam address into your spam dir, merges them into the dictionary and then deletes the message as to not use up storage space.

at first i hated the Bayesian filter, but now that i have it working properly, i find it catches a lot of crap.

on top of that, my main BACKBONE filter is MEFilter, found at http://www.mefilter.com, it does everything i need and i even use it to manage the bayesian flagged messages (the bayesian filter adds a header to the message)

if you want to catch a LOT of spam and ONLY use ME, then you want to
1) use the bayesian filter
2) use spf filtering
3) use spf best guess with an entry of "a/24 mx/24 ~all" (without quotes)

hope that helps
Chase
Server 2008 Standard (x64)
ME Ent 6.51 (SQL Server 2008 Config)
ASSP 1.9

Brad

use GFI Mailessentials with ME

Post by Brad » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:44 am

You can use GFI Mailessentials with ME.
Lke you said it does a great job. I believe it is the best spam filter anywhere hands down. ME could learn A LOT from GFI.
GFI works great along side Exchange, but it can also run as a front end to a SMTP like MailEnable.

Give it a try, they have a free 30 Trial version you can try it before you buy it.
http://www.gfi.com/downloads/downloads. ... =me&lid=EN

lschafroth

Re: use GFI Mailessentials with ME

Post by lschafroth » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:59 pm

Brad wrote:You can use GFI Mailessentials with ME.
Lke you said it does a great job. I believe it is the best spam filter anywhere hands down. ME could learn A LOT from GFI.
GFI works great along side Exchange, but it can also run as a front end to a SMTP like MailEnable.

Give it a try, they have a free 30 Trial version you can try it before you buy it.
Do I need a dedicated server running GFI then have the MailEnable machine accept mail from it? Never done it that way. The only experience with GFI I have is with Exchange server.

GFI was FANTASTIC when using Exchange.

Thanks!!

Lannie

lschafroth

Post by lschafroth » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:01 pm

rockinthesixstring wrote: if you want to catch a LOT of spam and ONLY use ME, then you want to
1) use the bayesian filter
2) use spf filtering
3) use spf best guess with an entry of "a/24 mx/24 ~all" (without quotes)

hope that helps
I tried the SPF filtering but I did not have the ability to set some whitelists for domain names. There are some legit domains that don't have the SPF setup. I cannot find anywhere to put their domain name in the allow portion for SPF checking.

Lannie

lschafroth

Post by lschafroth » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:11 pm

rockinthesixstring wrote:if you do some searching in this forum you will find a great way to have the ME Bayesian filter do its own learning (without using autotraining). the script copies messages from your spam address into your spam dir, merges them into the dictionary and then deletes the message as to not use up storage space.
Can you forward me to how you are doing it? All I find in the news groups is peoples ideas on how to do it but no definative description on doing it.

Thanks!

Lannie

rockinthesixstring

Post by rockinthesixstring » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:38 pm

Here is the script i use (i have plesk installed, so you will have to change the directory if you installed in Program Files)

Code: Select all

REM*****************StartsHere (BayesianTrain.bat)******************************************

REM*** This section will copy all the mail stored by your earlier configured filters into 
REM*** the dictionary Spam and NoSpam folders and delete the messages in the 
REM *** inboxes.  If you have configured other mailboxes for the collection of Spam or REM *** NoSpam you will need to create similar entries for those mailboxes.

REM *** Copy mail from Spam inbox folder to dictionary Spam folder.
Copy "C:\SWSoft\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Postoffices\infinitas.ws\MAILROOT\Spam\Inbox\*.mai" "C:\SWSoft\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Dictionaries\Spam\*.*"

REM *** Delete messages from the Spam inbox folder.
del /Q "C:\SWSoft\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Postoffices\infinitas.ws\MAILROOT\Spam\Inbox\*.mai"

REM *** Copy mail from NoSpam inbox folder to dictionary NoSpam folder.
Copy "C:\SWSoft\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Postoffices\infinitas.ws\MAILROOT\NoSpam\Inbox\*.mai" "C:\SWSoft\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Dictionaries\NoSpam\*.*"

REM *** Delete messages from the NoSpam inbox folder
del /Q "C:\SWSoft\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Postoffices\infinitas.ws\MAILROOT\NoSpam\Inbox\*.mai"

REM*** Notify the MTA filter to write out current dictionary from memory to hard drive file. 
mespamcmd -w

REM*** This is the command line that will process the messages in the dictionary files
REM*** and convert them to the dictionary token file.
mespamcmd -m "C:\SWSoft\Plesk\Mailse~1\Mailen~1\Dictionaries\mailenable.tab" "C:\SWSoft\Plesk\Mailse~1\Mailen~1\Dictionaries\Spam" "C:\SWSoft\Plesk\Mailse~1\Mailen~1\Dictionaries\NoSpam"

REM*** Notify the Spam filter to reload the dictionary from the new update. 
mespamcmd -r

REM*** The following section will copy all the mail from the dictionary Spam folders to 
REM *** the backup storage folders.  These back up folders can come in handy if you 
REM *** need to create a new dictionary are some point in time.

Copy "C:\SWSoft\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Dictionaries\Spam\*.*" "C:\SWSoft\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Dictionaries\KeepSpam\*.*"
Copy "C:\SWSoft\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Dictionaries\NoSpam\*.*" "C:\SWSoft\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Dictionaries\KeepNoSpam\*.*"

REM*** Now clean up the dictionary Spam and NoSpam folders
del /Q "C:\SWSoft\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Dictionaries\Spam\*.*"
del /Q "C:\SWSoft\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Dictionaries\NoSpam\*.*"

exit

REM*****************EndsHere******************************************
Then once a month i prune the dictionary

Code: Select all

mespamcmd -w
mespamcmd -p C:\SWSoft\Plesk\Mailse~1\Mailen~1\Dictionaries\mailenable.tab
mespamcmd -r
Chase
Server 2008 Standard (x64)
ME Ent 6.51 (SQL Server 2008 Config)
ASSP 1.9

Brad

Re: use GFI Mailessentials with ME

Post by Brad » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:00 am

lschafroth wrote:
Brad wrote:You can use GFI Mailessentials with ME.

Do I need a dedicated server running GFI then have the MailEnable machine accept mail from it? Never done it that way. The only experience with GFI I have is with Exchange server.

GFI was FANTASTIC when using Exchange.

Thanks!!

Lannie
you don't have to use it on a different server, you can just have your mail come in on one port that goes to GFI and then when GFI is done with the mail GFI will send them along to your ME mail server on another port that ME is listening on.
I suggest setting up a test box somewhere and playing around with the ME demo and the GFI demo. Can't go wrong with FREE testing