Stay away from MailEnable

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
AcidRaZor

Stay away from MailEnable

Post by AcidRaZor »

I used Mail Enable for almost 2 years now. Today I received a client who sends out bulk emails. 67000 to be exact.

Mail Enable CANT HANDLE THAT VOLUME. It's impossible for the SMTP connector to stay on. I have everything on default install.

This is ridiculous! How can you sell something like this if it's only use is for "home"? Yay, you have 1 domain with 2 emails. Then cool, this solution might work for you.

HA!

This is a fcuking joke...

guitarman

Post by guitarman »

You can't expect mailenable for the money you pay to perform miracles. My company, which is a large size organization dealing in many countries in the world has been succesfully using mail enable for 3 years. We purchased pro for our company email addresses and use the free version for mass mailing information packets to several thousand employees world wide. We have a small VB program that we use to stagger the volume in a size that Mail enable can handle. I am currently migrating our company email over to Exchange 2003 as our needs have outgrown mailenable. But we will still use mailenable pro for mass mailing.

AcidRaZor

Post by AcidRaZor »

I hardly expect it to preform miracles. I expect what they advertise to be true. High Performance Mail Software.

I've been struggling to get the damn SMTP queue to even START to send these mails.

Staggering might be an idea, but it's too late for that. Oh, and before anyone replies and says "bla dee bla dee bla, hotfix" I did install the hotfix and the damn connect STILL freezes after only sending out 1000 mails!

This is ridiculous!

guitarman

Post by guitarman »

AcidRaZor wrote:I hardly expect it to preform miracles. I expect what they advertise to be true. High Performance Mail Software.

I've been struggling to get the damn SMTP queue to even START to send these mails.

Staggering might be an idea, but it's too late for that. Oh, and before anyone replies and says "bla dee bla dee bla, hotfix" I did install the hotfix and the damn connect STILL freezes after only sending out 1000 mails!

This is ridiculous!
If you had done your research properly you would have known ahead of time if mail enable was going to suit your needs. That is what the free version is for. Its hardly fair to blame mail enable for your woes. If all it takes is a an advertisement like "High performance" to sell you then you deserve to get burned. High performance compared to what. Its an ambiguos and common advertising quote that many people use. As well there is more than just mail enable to consider here. What are you using for a connection? My company sends out mass emails 500 at a time staggered at intervals that were completely tested and it uses a T1 connection. The whole process was tested before it went to production. If the tests had failed and mail enable was found to be at fault I would be finding another solution not wasting my time here complaining in cyber space to people that are neither at fault or could care less.

AcidRaZor

Post by AcidRaZor »

guitarman wrote:
AcidRaZor wrote:I hardly expect it to preform miracles. I expect what they advertise to be true. High Performance Mail Software.

This is ridiculous!
If you had done your research properly you would have known ahead of time if mail enable was going to suit your needs. That is what the free version is for. Its hardly fair to blame mail enable for your woes. If all it takes is a an advertisement like "High performance" to sell you then you deserve to get burned. High performance compared to what. Its an ambiguos and common advertising quote that many people use. As well there is more than just mail enable to consider here. What are you using for a connection? My company sends out mass emails 500 at a time staggered at intervals that were completely tested and it uses a T1 connection. The whole process was tested before it went to production. If the tests had failed and mail enable was found to be at fault I would be finding another solution not wasting my time here complaining in cyber space to people that are neither at fault or could care less.
My enviroment changes drastically. Lucky that you have proper test phases and corporate bullshit strings and hoops you have to jump through... really... Im super glad for you. Thing is, client wants it done yesterday. Boss wants it done last week. They dont care how what works. All they know is that they have a mail server THEY bought and now I have to tell them it can't? on something that needed to be done YESTERDAY?

sorry man, your "real world" is definately a bit tainted, but thanks for your opinion.

guitarman

Post by guitarman »

You have no idea. We are constantly under unrealistic deadlines. But as an IT professional you have to be able to make recomendations to the best of your abilities. I had an office in Dubai that I was to make reccomendations for hardware. I was given no time to properly asses the situation. The president finally told the IT staff there to just go out and make the most of it. Hardware that was not compatable in a Terminal server environment was purchased. Even though I'm in charge of this it wasn't my call. I warned that this would happenned and the company paid for it not me. If the company does not give time for proper testing or assesments and yet blames you then my advice is get out. If your good enough at what you do you'll find a better situation. If its the company that has unrealistic expectations then it is not mail enables fault.

mikebol

Post by mikebol »

Seriously, I'm sorry to hear about your issues with ME.

Have you created a support request with them so the problem you are having can be diagnosed? I'm sure everyone is compasionate to your situation but we'd all also benefit if you could troubleshoot this with them.

So the SMTP service just stops responding or generates an access violation or what?

Mike (Still evaluating ME EE)

AcidRaZor

Post by AcidRaZor »

It seems that i just ignores all the mails in the out queue.... nothing happens. Sends out like a 100 then totally stops

AcidRaZor

Post by AcidRaZor »

Here's the kicker, their support (even though they say they wont charge me) requires me to enter credit card details at step 2, which I can't enter anywhere....ffs..

mikebol

Post by mikebol »

Are you just dropping MAI files into the SMTP/Outbound queue?

Mike

MartynK

Post by MartynK »

Can you not bypass the credit card bit in the support system if its a defect and you tick the correct box ?

Also I did a mailing a few weeks back of 20,000 people without issue.

AcidRaZor

Post by AcidRaZor »

MartynK wrote:Can you not bypass the credit card bit in the support system if its a defect and you tick the correct box ?

Also I did a mailing a few weeks back of 20,000 people without issue.
You're suppose to, on step 2 it says "check the knowledge base before continueing or click next"

Then if you click next it says you had to complete your credit card details in step 2.... this is seriously annoying

AcidRaZor

Post by AcidRaZor »

mikebol wrote:Are you just dropping MAI files into the SMTP/Outbound queue?

Mike
No, I have 8 lists of 9000 people each that gets sent through CDO (ASP). Everything sends fine with the CDO and sometimes the SMTP connector just fails, then I have to restart it and then start sending again (don't worry, I keep a record of who sent what, so the script doesn't begin from the beginning again)

This is just really frustrating. Boss is yelling because he can't send mails, I'm restarting the frikking smtp connector manually each time... had 2 hours sleep... seriously... annoying

MartynK

Post by MartynK »

There was another topic I read, something about the SMTP connector and issues with it crashing. I seem to recall a hot fix being avaialble, might be worth a hunt.

mikebol

Post by mikebol »

The SMTP hotfix you mention is listed here:
http://www.mailenable.com/hotfix/default.asp

Rather than trying to stand up a new SMTP server, it would be a quick test to just apply the hotfix and try your list delivery again.

Keep us posted.

Mike