SMTP ERROR 551

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
optious

SMTP ERROR 551

Post by optious »

I'm hosting email for client of mine, and the client is using eartlink for SMTP server because her ISP doesn't allow her to use me as an SMTP provider.
Whenever she sends out e-mail locally she gets this 551 error This mail server requires authentication before sending mail from a locally hosted domain. Please reconfigure your mail client to authenticate before sending mail.

Yes in my SMTP setting on mail enable client I have it to where it requires password to send out mail using our SMTP but if she is not using our SMTP and using Earthlink's why is she still getting this error? She can send out of network just fine, just internally she gets this error. Thanks in advanced

scngan

Re: SMTP ERROR 551

Post by scngan »

optious wrote:I'm hosting email for client of mine, and the client is using eartlink for SMTP server because her ISP doesn't allow her to use me as an SMTP provider.
Whenever she sends out e-mail locally she gets this 551 error This mail server requires authentication before sending mail from a locally hosted domain. Please reconfigure your mail client to authenticate before sending mail.

Yes in my SMTP setting on mail enable client I have it to where it requires password to send out mail using our SMTP but if she is not using our SMTP and using Earthlink's why is she still getting this error? She can send out of network just fine, just internally she gets this error. Thanks in advanced
hi, i having this problem too...below is the response frm ME

"Hi,
Can you please confirm that the email client is authenticating when
sending as when the connection is inbound and this error is a 551 it means
that the client is not configured to authenticate."

RickH

Post by RickH »

optious wrote:I'm hosting email for client of mine, and the client is using eartlink for SMTP server because her ISP doesn't allow her to use me as an SMTP provider.

I have solved this problem by using the alternate smtp port for all my customers behind a Cox Cable connection or using Earthlink. By setting up the alternate to a port that is not blocked by their hosting provider, you handle all authentication. The default alternate port is 49.

Rick

RickH

Post by RickH »

I have solved this problem by using the alternate smtp port for all my customers behind a Cox Cable connection or using Earthlink. By setting up the alternate to a port that is not blocked by their hosting provider, you handle all authentication. The default alternate port is 49.

Rick

telecomputers

More 551 - Verizon.net

Post by telecomputers »

We are getting these SMTP 551 errors from outgoing email sent to Verizon.net. All authentication settings appear to be correct.

Reason: Server rejected MAIL FROM address.
Diagnostic code: smtp;551 This mail server requires authentication before sending mail from a locally hosted domain. Please reconfigure your mail client to authenticate before sending mail.

UPDATE on this issue:

In our case, our client had the same IMAP account set up in BOTH Outlook and Outlook Express on the same PC. In the full Outlook the authentication settings were correct but in OE it was set up using their Verizon account as the default outbound - which was why we were getting the error from Verizon. Strange thing was that when using full Outlook we were still getting the error as if the settings in OE were somehow being used in full Outlook. Weird.

Of course once we set their real email account as the default in OE everything began working correctly. This really had us stumped for some time - who would even think to look at the OE set up when the client was using full Outlook.
j@mes

MEpro 10.20
JAM Software - SpamAssassin in a Box

moegal

Post by moegal »

I am seeing this error for a client who is having e-mail forwarded to his account form network solutions. It appears they are forwarding the e-mail with the local address in the from field. Seems odd.

Any ideas on this. I do have "Prevent Sender address spoofing" checked. I really don't want to turn this off either if I can help it.

diginoise

Post by diginoise »

moegal wrote:I am seeing this error for a client who is having e-mail forwarded to his account form network solutions. It appears they are forwarding the e-mail with the local address in the from field. Seems odd.

Any ideas on this. I do have "Prevent Sender address spoofing" checked. I really don't want to turn this off either if I can help it.
I also have the "Prevent Sender address spoofing" and it causes this error with a mac user. the thing is that prevent spoofing checked i still get spam using my own email and unchecking it of course does too so go figure...?!

crnunez

Post by crnunez »

I have the same issue, the error appear on Forward form Horde.

Plesk works with Horde but I can not received any mail Forwarded from Horde, because appear:

Remote host said: 551 This mail server requires authentication before sending mail from a locally hosted domain. Please reconfigure your mail client to authenticate before sending mail.

Thanks MailEnable for any patch.
Regards,
Robert N.
Zona Hosting - Hosting y Servicios Profesionales en Internet.

diginoise

Post by diginoise »

client is having the same problem here, prevent spoofing is enabled but still daily spoof emails are received... if i disable it will that problem go? will it enable even more spoof then currently?

carlosgallupa

Enabling spoofing gave me these errors

Post by carlosgallupa »

After enabling the spoofing checkbox I got these messages a lot??? Now after disabling the checkbox I still get them.

Clients are beginning to get annoyed... what is the best setup to prevent these kind of e-mail. Everyday I get about 5 to 20, and so do the clients configured on our mailserver.

For some more information.. it's always someone@domain as the from AND to addresss, and it's always SPAM.

Could someone from MailEnable give some advice?? txns!!

carlosgallupa

Post by carlosgallupa »

Hmmm, after looking into it again I found out the we had Mail relay unchecked but had the allow relay for authenticated senders check and allow relay fo privileged IP ranges checked. I'm not sure but enabling relaying.. unchecking the above en disabling relaying again seems to help.

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben »

After enabling the spoofing checkbox I got these messages a lot??? Now after disabling the checkbox I still get them.
The spoofing feature is designed to help against messages where the sender address is from a local sender mailbox. When enabled this feature will check the FROM address and if the address is local to the server then force the inbound transaction to authenticate. The will over write any relay settings as it works directly on the sender address and the need to authenticate.

Please note that this is the FROM address on the command file or envelope sender. This sender will always be written in the MailEnable logs under the FROM address. This feature will NOT stop forged emails where the command file is different from the FROM address in the message.
Hmmm, after looking into it again I found out the we had Mail relay unchecked but had the allow relay for authenticated senders check and allow relay fo privileged IP ranges checked. I'm not sure but enabling relaying.. unchecking the above en disabling relaying again seems to help.
Here are the best settings for the relaying options:

http://www.mailenable.com/kb/viewarticl ... 020001.htm

Unless you know of another reason for other settings this is the only one that you should have enabled:

"Allow relay for authenticated senders"

- If you need to enable the allow relay for IPs so web pages or programs can send through your server you are always best to ensure that these programs still authenticate. Which means that nothing changes with your security and relay settings. If you have to allow IPs and give blanket relay rights to other servers/IP's and want to have the sender addresses be ones hosted on the MailEnable server then you will most likely have to disable the anti spoofing feature all together.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.