outlook asking password again and again

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
iffarrukh

outlook asking password again and again

Post by iffarrukh » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:52 am

Hello All
I am facing a problem with mail enable. I try to connect from outlook express or microsoft. It connects successfully but at authentication its ask password. After giving correct password. I get same password prompt again and again.
Can anybody help me in this matter

Webmail is working fine and I can logon using same password that I am trying to use with outlook.

Thanks in advance.

regards
Farrukh
Last edited by iffarrukh on Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

iffarrukh

Post by iffarrukh » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:52 am

I forget ot mention error that I receives.

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'mail.alp-bsm.com', Server: 'mail.alp-bsm.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Unable to log on. Only one connection to a mailbox permitted at a time.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

pwrdbyRedHat

Post by pwrdbyRedHat » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:29 pm

I'm running into this same problem this morning with enterprise edition. Just started over this weekend. Webmail is working find but when you try to make an imap or pop connection it will not authenticate any of the users.

thechatking

Post by thechatking » Tue May 15, 2007 9:32 am

We have been getting this problem ever since we first started using MailEnable Professional. Would be nice to have a fix if anyone knows what the problem may be...

pwrdbyRedHat

Post by pwrdbyRedHat » Tue May 15, 2007 3:37 pm

I have no idea what was causing it. What I ended up having to do is do a full backukp of mailenable and then restoring from a previous ghost image and then restore my backups. I wish we could of found the fix to why this was doing this, but I have customers needing email so I had to do something.

thechatking

Post by thechatking » Tue May 15, 2007 3:46 pm

The problem occurs intermittently for us - it can come and go at any time of the day. A reboot of the client machine always fixes the immediate problem, though, which is slightly odd, although it may be that the server corrects itself in the time it takes to restart. All I know is that it's very frustrating when I have lots of programs and files open and a restart would be annoying.

Are login attempts logged in MailEnable somewhere? Would be useful to see what the server is doing when the request comes in (and fails).

loonatik

Post by loonatik » Tue May 15, 2007 4:08 pm

We are having the same exact problem and we have no clue why its happening or how to fix this.

loonatik

Post by loonatik » Tue May 15, 2007 4:40 pm

I have found another post on the forums talking about this issue.

http://forum.mailenable.com/viewtopic.php?t=12716

The replies talk about allowing more than one concurrent connection at a time. That got me thinking and I talked to my clients who are having this issue.

They have cell phones checking their mail at the same time. So I am wondering if this may be the problem. I am waiting on a test from my client to disable his cell phone and see if the problem goes away.

If it does im going to allow multiple connections and see if thats the problem.

I will update you guys when I find out.

pwrdbyRedHat

Post by pwrdbyRedHat » Tue May 15, 2007 6:17 pm

Interesting... I too have several clients with cell phones that checking via imap, but when my server was doing this none of the mail boxes could connect. Even if I tried to connect to my personal mailbox on the server with outlook or outlook express it would not allow, but if I connected through the webmail interface everthing worked just fine.

loonatik

Post by loonatik » Tue May 15, 2007 7:20 pm

I got an offical reponse from mail enable about the issue.
Hi,
This error means that the mailbox has a block file created because a client is logged into the mailbox already as the POP service only allows one connection at a time in normal operation although there is a feature in Pro and Enterprise releases of MailEnable that over comes this.

Please upgrade to the latest release of MailEnable Standard and see if this overcomes any issues there may be with this locking mechanism. If the problem exists you will either have to look into possible client problems where it is not disconnecting correctly which can be the case due to a faulty AV proxy or maybe the mailbox does have two clients trying to login.

Failing this the only way I can suggest this can be overcome is through the advanced products which have the feature to allow multiple POP logins.

Regards,
Ben Malcolm
So it looks like if this is my issue the only way to fix it is to buy the pro releae?

thechatking

Post by thechatking » Tue May 15, 2007 8:45 pm

loonatik wrote:So it looks like if this is my issue the only way to fix it is to buy the pro releae?
We're using Pro and still experience this problem. I'm pretty sure the email accounts are not being used by more than one person at the same time, so there must be issues with Outlook not disconnecting properly.

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben » Wed May 16, 2007 12:58 am

If you are running Professional version 2 then you can enable the concurrent mailbox access feature in the POP properties.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.

thechatking

Post by thechatking » Wed May 16, 2007 7:10 am

MailEnable-Ben wrote:If you are running Professional version 2 then you can enable the concurrent mailbox access feature in the POP properties.
Ok, thanks, I'll try this when it next happens. Is there any performance degradation allowing multiple mailbox access?

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben » Thu May 17, 2007 12:53 am

No not that I have seen, in theory there can be issues if two separate clients are trying to download the messages at one time. Obviously one client will throw errors due to the LIST saying there are messages but then when the client tries to download them it is not able to download them. I recommend that if you really do need multiple client access then it is best to use IMAP as this is designed for this scenario where as POP is a single client connection per mailbox service.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.

TheStapler

Post by TheStapler » Thu May 17, 2007 2:43 pm

MailEnable-Ben wrote:If you are running Professional version 2 then you can enable the concurrent mailbox access feature in the POP properties.
we are using Pro v2.37 and I have the concurrent connection from teh default 16, to now 50.

It still every now and then gives me that same issue, for no reason, then after some time, it goes away.

I too, would like some help on this please.