Problematic Mailenable Scratch folder

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
jokingelephant

Problematic Mailenable Scratch folder

Post by jokingelephant »

Hi guys,

Do anyone of you have any idea on how to prevent the files in the Mailenable scratch folder from building up?

It has caused my server disk space to be used up and i will need to RDP in often to clear the files inside the scratch folder.

Any one able to assist?

Thanks

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

You should first try to address the reason for the files accumulating.
Most likely you are using a resident scanner that is preventing the files from being deleted. You should exclude the scratch directory from being protected by the scanner so that MailEnable itself can delete the files.

Alternatively, it is possible that if you are using an AV scanner that has issues with cleaning up/scanning. ClamAV can have this problem.

If you cannot address the issue based on above, then you may wish to schedule a script (via Control Panel) that stops the MTA, deletes the contents of the scratch dir, and the starts the mta.

eg:

net stop memtas
[delete files from scratch dir]
net start memtas
Regards, Andrew

jokingelephant

Post by jokingelephant »

Hi,

Yes, we are using Clam AV. May i know how do i exclude the scratch directory from being protected by the Clam AV scanner so that MailEnable itself can delete the files?

Thanks

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

The problem with ClamAV is not so much that you need to exclude the directory, but that the scanner itself has threading issues when being called concurrently. ie: It can have issues (like those your experiencing) when you attempt to run multiple instances of the scanner at the same time. The solution is typically to lower the number of transfer threads for the MTA to 1 or 2 threads. This should remove contention for the scanner and will you should notice that the hangover files should not appear. Unless you are running a large number of users or process a large number of messages, the reduction of the mta transfer thread should not cause delays.
Regards, Andrew

jokingelephant

Post by jokingelephant »

Hi,

May i seek your advise? Where can i lower the number of transfer threads for the MTA to 1 or 2 threads for the Clam AV?

Hope this thread can be a help to others too.

Thanks

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

No problem. This article explains further:
http://www.mailenable.com/kb/content/vi ... D=ME020484
Regards, Andrew

VFSKeith

Re:

Post by VFSKeith »

MailEnable wrote:No problem. This article explains further:
http://www.mailenable.com/kb/content/vi ... D=ME020484
Hello,

Does the ClamWin Article at https://www.mailenable.com/kb/content/a ... D=ME020484 apply to the ClamAv scanner that installs with MailEnable Enterprise 9.76? I ask because the product name in the article is ClamWin not ClamAV and it instructs you to download and install ClamWIN, but ClamAV installs with MailEnable.

Specifically we were wanting to know if clamdscan.exe can handle multiple MTA threads. We need an AV scanner that integrates seamlessly (plays nice) with Mail Enable but can also handle 24-32 MTA threads.

Thank You,

Keith D.
Thank You,

Keith Damron
VF

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Problematic Mailenable Scratch folder

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

The ClamAV scanner included in version 6 on wards is not ClamWin (will update the article accordingly). Answering your question; if using the ClamAV out of box solution we provide then the MTA thread count can run at 64 threads and the clamdscan will handle this.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support