WebMAil is slow loading

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
isandc

WebMAil is slow loading

Post by isandc »

I am having problems with the loading of the new web mail. It seams to hang while it loads into a web browser. I have tested this with several computers, using IE and firefox

Any thoughts?

MartynK

Post by MartynK »

What happens if you try to load it from the server ?

Before its even worth trying from a remote machine, get it working on the actual server.

isandc

Post by isandc »

It takes 3min 46 sec to load on the server it sits on
MartynK wrote:What happens if you try to load it from the server ?

Before its even worth trying from a remote machine, get it working on the actual server.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

There is obviously a problem (most likely permissions) that is causing a timeout when webmail is loading. It should normally take 10-15 seconds to load the mailbox.

Perhaps you could log a ticket so we can investigate. To diagnose would require running filemon and monitoring the w3wp.exe process (if on windows 2003) to see if there are any problems accessing the message store or folders.
Regards, Andrew

Brad

Post by Brad »

I am having the same problem with users who have over 500 messages in their inbox.

Even 10-15 seconds is unexceptable for my customers to wait.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

The problem is the size of the Jscript that is sent down from the server to the client. Because the new client extensively uses ajax, there is something in the order of 1MB of scripts that need to be pulled onto the client before the message list can be displayed.

We have tried to minize this though using iframes (so that all scripts do not need to be downloaded at one). The size of the mailbox should not really be the principal factor in the speed to which webmail loads - it is moreso the amount of jscript the client needs. (We are looking at implementing a means of compressing the scripts - as well as potentially releasing developer versions so that others can extend the client by authoring their own jscript modules).

If the client is taking minutes rather than seconds, there must be some sort of server issue in play (in which case we would need to diagnose the server actity to determine what it is).
Regards, Andrew

isandc

Post by isandc »

I have 2 tickets open 13329 and 1
MailEnable wrote:There is obviously a problem (most likely permissions) that is causing a timeout when webmail is loading. It should normally take 10-15 seconds to load the mailbox.

Perhaps you could log a ticket so we can investigate. To diagnose would require running filemon and monitoring the w3wp.exe process (if on windows 2003) to see if there are any problems accessing the message store or folders.

Brad

Post by Brad »

MailEnable wrote:The size of the mailbox should not really be the principal factor in the speed to which webmail loads - it is moreso the amount of jscript the client needs.
I am using the same computer and signing on with different accounts.
If the account has a large inbox the website will hang right after login.

If I log out and try a different mailbox with a smaller inbox, I get right in no problem.
If I logout and try to go back to the larger account, still no go.

However, if I go to the server and delete message older than x days to make the inbox smaller. I can finally get the webmail to load for that user.

This most recently happened when a user had 2000 messages in the inbox. After deleting the older ones back down under 500, everything starts to work.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Brad, Thanks for the update. I just tested my own mailbox with 5000 items in it accross and it took 15 seconds to load (from clicking the login button to being able to read the first message). It may be some sort of permission problem or perhaps a registry key for caching or something that is missing. We will look into the tickets that isandc have open and I will post when we know the cause.
Regards, Andrew

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Brad, I reviewed isandc's issues via his ticket and the problem seems to be different to yours. To allow us to diagnose, perhaps you could export your MailEnable reg keys using regedit.

Could you please export and zip up a copy of the MailEnable reg root and e-mail it to beta@mailenable.com. The key to export is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mail Enable
We would like to review the settings and verify that indexing is enabled on your system. Thx.
Regards, Andrew

isandc

Post by isandc »

OK well how do I get this fixed??

MailEnable wrote:Brad, I reviewed isandc's issues via his ticket and the problem seems to be different to yours. To allow us to diagnose, perhaps you could export your MailEnable reg keys using regedit.

Could you please export and zip up a copy of the MailEnable reg root and e-mail it to beta@mailenable.com. The key to export is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mail Enable
We would like to review the settings and verify that indexing is enabled on your system. Thx.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Ticket 13329 is open, so your best to respond to the ticket e-mails to get the issue resolved. But, ticket 13329 relates to permissions - not slow webmail like brad described.

Perhaps it is because your post as to the ticket numbers was incomplete:
I have 2 tickets open 13329 and 1 .....

I would need the other ticket number to review.
Regards, Andrew

Brad

Post by Brad »

MailEnable wrote:Brad, Thanks for the update. I just tested my own mailbox with 5000 items in it accross and it took 15 seconds to load (from clicking the login button to being able to read the first message). It may be some sort of permission problem or perhaps a registry key for caching or something that is missing. We will look into the tickets that isandc have open and I will post when we know the cause.
Okay, I just tested it again with a mailbox that has over 5200 messages in the inbox.

It brought up the screen "Please wait while MailEnable loads your webmail".

Then that screen goes away after only 3 or 4 seconds.

Now the page is blank except for the background color of the preview pane and the border. everything else is just white. Again No "Please wait" or loading progress is displayed.

I just left it alone for a quite a while to see if it would load anyway, and then IE gives me the message that Internet Explorer is not Responding.
I still just let it continue. However, after 4-5 minutes goes by the Account Summary page finally loads, and all functionallity seems normal.

So I logged out, and logged back in, and Webmail loads up just as fast as all my other accounts do.

Is it having to go through all the files in the folder to build an index of something the first time through?

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Thanks for the update.

Yes - as you say, it sounds like the index for the inbox is out of date and is being re-built upon the login. With version 3 the postoffice connector should update indexes upon delivery- so there should be no need to rebuild the index. There are 3 reasons (that I can think of anyway) as to why this may not be happening.

1. There is some sort of issue preventing the index from being update - maybe permissions

2. The registry keys that enable the behaviour are not effective or are invalid

3. The size of the _index.xml file is > than 3072K in size (in which case the system will write out an _CHANGE.DTY flag so as to conserve resources). In my case, my 5000 items has an index of about 2500K - so its possible that yours exceeds the 3072 K mentioned above - hence the delay in it being reindexed on access.

You can of course change the maximum size limit - but if you increase it over 4MB then your catch-alls may bog down the postoffice connector with indexing:

Root: HKLM:SOFTWARE\Mail Enable\Mail Enable\Providers\Store
Name: Index Injection Size Limit
Type: DWORD
Meaning: used to determine the maximum size of an index.xml file that can be subjected to direct indexing on message delivery
Value: [Size in KB], default 3072 KB
Regards, Andrew

isandc

Post by isandc »

Please relay this to the "powers to be"

I have updated my email server, paid for the update, Have 2 issues, one I resolved on my own the second one is this web mail issue. You folks charged me twice. I am still waitng for a resolution. Please tell me what I need to do to get help.

Thanks
Lou Labetti
ISandC

MailEnable wrote:Ticket 13329 is open, so your best to respond to the ticket e-mails to get the issue resolved. But, ticket 13329 relates to permissions - not slow webmail like brad described.

Perhaps it is because your post as to the ticket numbers was incomplete:
I have 2 tickets open 13329 and 1 .....

I would need the other ticket number to review.