Ordering of MTA Processes (CommandPickup, COM Event, Filter)

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
KelvinTang

Ordering of MTA Processes (CommandPickup, COM Event, Filter)

Post by KelvinTang » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Hi all,

We are currently using MailEnable Professional 2.52 with Plesk 8.2. Plesk 8 has switched from using a command pickup event (memailfilter.exe) to a COM object event (pleskmemta.PleskMEMTA) for its mail processing.

We wish to run some additional filtering using the MailEnable bulit-in Filter functions after SpamAssassin has parsed the e-mail. In previous Plesk versions (with command pickup event), we can easily perform the following sequence:

Command Pickup Event -> Filter

However, in Plesk 8, we are unable to set up the following sequence:

COM Object Event -> Filter

ME Filter is always executed before the COM Object Event, even when the "Process pickup after filters instead of before" option is unchecked.

Is there anyway we can configure ME so that ME Filter is executed after the COM Object MTA Event? In other words, the COM Object MTA Event needs to be executed first, and then the filters. This is what the option "Process pickup after filters instead of before" should behave.

Thanks in advance.

KelvinTang

Post by KelvinTang » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:22 pm

We are wondering if the above described behaviour:
++++++++++++++++
now = MTA command line pickup event -> filter -> MTA COM object pickup event

should be (if the process pickup after filter option is UNCHECK) = MTA pickup events (command line + COM) all processed -> filter
++++++++++++++++

is a bug or if it can be achieved with a setting in the registry. Thank you for your time!
Last edited by KelvinTang on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chisholmd

related question

Post by chisholmd » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:35 am

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I have a related question about the order that MTA events are processed. I am hoping that if someone is knowledgeable enough to answer your question perhaps then can answer mine at the same time.

MTA ListServ order of processing
I have written an MTA pickup event that detects an inbound LS message and deletes it. However, the deleted messages were still processed by the listserv. e.g. subscribe messages are deleted yet senders are added to the list.

How can I filter inbound messages before the listserv?

*I am trying to redirect the subscribe requests so that I can implement a double opt-in system. Subscribe requests will be replied to with a verification email. The verification link in that email will add the subscriber to the list. Unsubscribe will work normally.

Currently subscribe requests are processed before my MTA pick up event code. :(