Blocking email / ip address

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
luv2hack

Blocking email / ip address

Post by luv2hack »

I am keep getting a recuiring email from a specific email address , how do i block the email or ip address in mail enable. Its an external email address.

Any idea.

rockinthesixstring

Post by rockinthesixstring »

If you want to do it the hard way, you will add it to the SMTP-DENY.TAB file in your Config directory.

If you want to do it the easy way and never have to worry about it again, I suggest you take half a day to setup ASSP (http://www.asspsmtp.org), and it will take care of all of it for you.

Myself and Paarlberg (as well as others) are totally available to help if need be.

ASSP is hands down the best spam filter I have ever seen and is completely free.
Chase
Server 2008 Standard (x64)
ME Ent 6.51 (SQL Server 2008 Config)
ASSP 1.9

BrandywineITS

Post by BrandywineITS »

BrandywineITS would help as well. The easiest to set up, now that their is an auto setup tool. You only have to install perl and ME, the install script will do everything else for you.
Last edited by BrandywineITS on Fri May 09, 2008 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike/BrandywineITS - MEPro-ASSP(BETA)-Win2K3 Server

paarlberg

Post by paarlberg »

The best part is it kills spam before it hits MailEnable so ME doesn't work very hard.

rockinthesixstring

Yeah my ME traffic has lowered to about 33% of what it used to do. This means the SMTP connector runs more stable, the processor usage is down, memory usage is down, and I can turn off the MTA Virus Scanner which is a PIG.

PS. Sorry for Hijacking your thread... Just wanted to express our enthusiasim on a product that will be the best option for you.
Chase
ASSP 1.9

paarlberg

Post by paarlberg »

I just saw the stats for an implementation of ASSP by Mike (BrandywineIT). You would not believe me if I told you how much it blocked.

In 5 days the server had almost 2 million SMTP connections, only 300 odd e-mails were valid. The rest were spam, that is a 99.999825 catch rate with 350 good e-mails..

You can't beat those results. I have just recently added clam to ASSP, it has phishing, virus, and other capabilities. My mail server has never run better.

Marconius

Post by Marconius »

For those of you guys running ASSP, what did you use as your setup guide for getting things started?

What kind of info did you need to port over? (Whitelists, blacklists, etc)

What do you end up turning off in ME? (Like the virus, bayesian, MERO, etc.)

Thanx

rockinthesixstring

Dude sorry for not answering the post... for some reason I didnt get a notification that you replied.

There is some good info on the assp website http://www.asspsmtp.org/

all you have to do is install perl and the required modules
unzip the assp package into an assp directory (C:/ASSP)
then run the tool to activate it as a service... cant remember off the top of my head.

Myself and the others are available to help with install if you get confused.
Chase
ASSP 1.9

rockinthesixstring

also.. what do we turn off in ME

I turn off all MTA Pickup Events
I turn off all blacklist scanning
I turn off greylisting
I turn off virus scanning

All of the above are redundant and not necessary. ASSP will do it for you and do it faster. The next release of ASSP will be multithreadded as well ... enhancing the performance greatly.

I continue to use ME builtin filtering but only for the fact that I need my mailbox filter to fire so that the end user can decide how they want the system to deal with their spam mail.
Chase
ASSP 1.9