Auto-train Spam Filter

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
tgoepferd

Auto-train Spam Filter

Post by tgoepferd »

Hello,

I have turned on the Auto-training feature of Mail Enable Professional 3.62. On the screen where I check the checkbox to enable it, there is this note:

"Note: In order to train you must also have a filter configured with a Bayesian criteria enabled. "

What does this mean? How do I setup a filter like that?

So far, I think the auto-training feature is not working since the MailEnable System Overview screen shows the number of Ham and number of Spam not changing.

Thanks!!!

rockinthesixstring

Post by rockinthesixstring »

Personally I feel that there are several major deficiencies in the MailEnable spam filter. Auto-Training very high up on the list, but ultimately it is not to be considered a "full featured" spam filter, and is good only for getting started.

I would highly recommend installing ASSP (http://assp.sourceforge.net) for your spam filter... installation takes only about 15 minutes and right ouf of the gate you will be blocking 90% of the spam that comes in without even configuring.

From there you can tweek till your heart's content... I'm at about a 98% block rate right now, and I don't really play with it all that much... I love it!!!
Chase
Server 2008 Standard (x64)
ME Ent 6.51 (SQL Server 2008 Config)
ASSP 1.9

tgoepferd

Post by tgoepferd »

I take it you have it running on an Windows 2008 Server (x64) machine. I saw some posts on the ASSP site of people having trouble running it, so I planned to wait a bit before trying it. If I know that at least one person is having success, I am more inclined to give it a shot.

rockinthesixstring

Post by rockinthesixstring »

I am running it on Server 2008... As you will see, I posted a question not 2 days ago on Server 2008 x64 since I "JUST" upgraded my server. The answer is to NOT use Perl64 but to actually use the 32bit version of Perl. Mine is running fully stable with this configuration... I am a very very happy guy.

You will see my posts in the ASSP forum under the same username.
Chase
Server 2008 Standard (x64)
ME Ent 6.51 (SQL Server 2008 Config)
ASSP 1.9