A lot of Bad Mail ??

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
McMadd

A lot of Bad Mail ??

Post by McMadd » Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:29 am

I'm getting an awful lot of messages in the Bad Mail. They all end with this statement:
Message Delivery was terminated unexpectedly because the connection was reset [Result=0], Return Value: (0).

I'm wondering if this is really what it says or if I'm having some problems that should be fixed.
If so, how can I pin this down?
Any particular log-files I should check?
And what to look for?

We're running ME Professional v1.1.05 on W2000 Advanced Server Service Pack 2.
As you can see no SP3 yet, might that be part of the problem (if any?).

(I haven't recieved any complaints yet from our users about sending/receiving problems so maybe there's no prob at all)

Alyson_J

Post by Alyson_J » Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:29 pm

I am getting the same using 1.109.

Also getting a lot of socket connection errors

Will post again when reviewed all the logs
Aly

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable » Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:10 pm

This should explain why they are being placed in the badmail directory: http://www.mailenable.com/kb/viewarticle.asp?aid=169

You will need to examine the logs to determine why you are getting errors. The three most likely reasons are:

Spammers dumping the connection
RBL detection of Spammer on RCPT
Bad NIC or Communications
Bad MTU setting
Regards, Andrew

McMadd

Post by McMadd » Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:46 am

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to understand some of the reasons you give.

Spammers dumping the connection
I doubt this is the case because I have configured the SMTP server to use authentication so we never have spammers using our machine. (never say never though :wink: )

RBL detection of Spammer on RCPT
Same reason as above I think.

Bad NIC or Communications
Not sure what you mean by this?

Bad MTU setting
Also not sure what this means but it sounds like something that is my responsibility so could you please be a bit more specific so I can check it.

Tnx.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:12 am

The article referenced in the earlier post the suggestions.

The MTU settings are explained in the KB - http://www.mailenable.com/default.asp?C ... asp?aid=63. In loose terms the MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit) setting is used to determine how much data your can pump out your network card in one burst. Sometimes your PC may be pumping out more than a downstream router can handle, and you therefore get transmissions failures. (Most of the routers your mail data is transfered through belong to someone else and you may need to change your settings to accomodate theirs). Changing this setting effectively means that you throw lots of crumbs are the router rather than the whole cake.

Bad Network Card or Communications : In some circumstances the network card or drivers can make TCP/IP communications unreliable. This is the case with some LinkSys and VIA cards. A dodgy router or communications device could also cause transmission failures.
Regards, Andrew