COM Surrogate errors

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
heuertk
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:34 pm

COM Surrogate errors

Post by heuertk » Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:43 am

Anyone receiving "COM+ Surrogate" errors in your event logs on Win2K3 with MailEnable Pro?

greddin
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:39 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Post by greddin » Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:18 am

Yes, I am seeing these errors as well. Relating to DLLHOST.EXE. I'm running Windows 2003 Server. Did you find a solution?

heuertk
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:34 pm

no solution

Post by heuertk » Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:24 am

i haven't found a solution and have mailed support...but no reply...am also using Win2K3

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:04 pm

Also running Win2K3. Same problem here.

Emmet

Post by Emmet » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:35 am

Same thing here, W2k3. Hopfully we'll see a fix soon.

Scott!

Post by Scott! » Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:17 pm

I'm getting the same problem here using W2k3 Standard.

BlueChris
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:25 am

Same here

Post by BlueChris » Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:17 pm

2k3 Standard

Guest

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:36 pm

I remember support talking about Win2k3 a while back and saying that the only difference between it and Win2k is that you had to change a checkbox setting on IIS relating to COM objects. I'd bet the mountain dew I'm drinking right now that if you can find the setting it will fix your problems.

cassius
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:29 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Post by cassius » Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:40 pm

That was me, I know nobody cares, but hey =/

Aha, I found the post I was referring to:

Versions 1.1 Pro and 1.7 Std have been tested on W2003. We have tested installing the versions on W2003 and this is fine. We have not (as far as I am aware, upgraded an existing server - however, the only forseeable problem is that COM+ behaves a little different and you may need to uncheck an option in COM+ (once upgraded to W2003). This is defined here. http://www.mailenable.com/kb/viewarticle.asp?aid=87

Hope this helps.

cassius

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:56 pm

You owe someone a Mountain Dew. :wink:

I just checked the settings indicated in the above post and my settings are correct. (I have not changed them at all.)

I have still been receiving the COM+ errors so this is not the issue. I have emailed support and they replied stating that they were working on the issue and would post more information when they have it.

cassius
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:29 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Post by cassius » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:51 pm

Oh.

Well, at least I already finished the Dew so it'd be hard for someone to take it from me now =P.

I guess there's more than one problem with COM+....

MailEnable
Site Admin
Posts: 4441
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:03 am
Location: Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Post by MailEnable » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:58 pm

An update on the surrogate errors -> The surrogate errors appear to be caused by the IIS 6 Web applications that MailEnable is creates. A solution to this issue should not be far off.
Regards, Andrew

bagfull

Post by bagfull » Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:12 am

any solution to this problem?

Alyson_J
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2002 9:44 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Alyson_J » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:11 am

I'd be ever so keen to know too as I'm getting these also on my new Win 2K3 Standard server.
Aly

MailEnable
Site Admin
Posts: 4441
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:03 am
Location: Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Post by MailEnable » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:06 am

This problem has been isolated to the IIS Web Application that MailEnable creates when webmail is published to an IIS 6 web site. It appears that IIS 6 does not like running these web applications as isolated processes.
As such, these virtual directories need to be reconfigured. A revised version of the MEInstaller.exe file allows you to set these to change the process isolation level to low or shared (rather than high).

Automated and manual procedures that should resolve the issue are outlined as follows:

Automated Procedure:

You should download the latest version of the MEInstaller application from www.mailenable.com/hotfix/meinstaller.zip.
The MEInstaller should be copied into your C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Bin directory.
You should run the MEInstaller application and first try changing the process isolation to Low.
Increasing the process isolation should make webmail more stable for discrete web sites (despite the fact that it appears to be causing issues under Windows 2003).

To set the process isolation manually, you should highlight the option and click the Execute button.
The buttons will be disabled while the process executes.

Manual Procedure:

1. Open the Internet Service Manager and select a WebMail Virtual directory (opening its properties). Please see attached screen.
2. Firstly, remove application associated with the virtual directory all together (it will then use the application associated with the parent web site)
3. Remove the application and then re-create it again, giving it the name MEWebMail

We are currently trialing this fix and it seems to address the issue. ie: we have had no recurrence with those who have applied this fix.
Regards, Andrew

Post Reply