COM Surrogate errors

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
heuertk

COM Surrogate errors

Post by heuertk »

Anyone receiving "COM+ Surrogate" errors in your event logs on Win2K3 with MailEnable Pro?

greddin

Post by greddin »

Yes, I am seeing these errors as well. Relating to DLLHOST.EXE. I'm running Windows 2003 Server. Did you find a solution?

heuertk

no solution

Post by heuertk »

i haven't found a solution and have mailed support...but no reply...am also using Win2K3

Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Also running Win2K3. Same problem here.

Emmet

Post by Emmet »

Same thing here, W2k3. Hopfully we'll see a fix soon.

Scott!

Post by Scott! »

I'm getting the same problem here using W2k3 Standard.

BlueChris

Same here

Post by BlueChris »

2k3 Standard

Post by Guest »

I remember support talking about Win2k3 a while back and saying that the only difference between it and Win2k is that you had to change a checkbox setting on IIS relating to COM objects. I'd bet the mountain dew I'm drinking right now that if you can find the setting it will fix your problems.

cassius

Post by cassius »

That was me, I know nobody cares, but hey =/

Aha, I found the post I was referring to:

Versions 1.1 Pro and 1.7 Std have been tested on W2003. We have tested installing the versions on W2003 and this is fine. We have not (as far as I am aware, upgraded an existing server - however, the only forseeable problem is that COM+ behaves a little different and you may need to uncheck an option in COM+ (once upgraded to W2003). This is defined here. http://www.mailenable.com/kb/viewarticle.asp?aid=87

Hope this helps.

cassius

Shadow

Post by Shadow »

You owe someone a Mountain Dew. :wink:

I just checked the settings indicated in the above post and my settings are correct. (I have not changed them at all.)

I have still been receiving the COM+ errors so this is not the issue. I have emailed support and they replied stating that they were working on the issue and would post more information when they have it.

cassius

Post by cassius »

Oh.

Well, at least I already finished the Dew so it'd be hard for someone to take it from me now =P.

I guess there's more than one problem with COM+....

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

An update on the surrogate errors -> The surrogate errors appear to be caused by the IIS 6 Web applications that MailEnable is creates. A solution to this issue should not be far off.
Regards, Andrew

bagfull

Post by bagfull »

any solution to this problem?

Alyson_J

Post by Alyson_J »

I'd be ever so keen to know too as I'm getting these also on my new Win 2K3 Standard server.
Aly

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

This problem has been isolated to the IIS Web Application that MailEnable creates when webmail is published to an IIS 6 web site. It appears that IIS 6 does not like running these web applications as isolated processes.
As such, these virtual directories need to be reconfigured. A revised version of the MEInstaller.exe file allows you to set these to change the process isolation level to low or shared (rather than high).

Automated and manual procedures that should resolve the issue are outlined as follows:

Automated Procedure:

You should download the latest version of the MEInstaller application from www.mailenable.com/hotfix/meinstaller.zip.
The MEInstaller should be copied into your C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Bin directory.
You should run the MEInstaller application and first try changing the process isolation to Low.
Increasing the process isolation should make webmail more stable for discrete web sites (despite the fact that it appears to be causing issues under Windows 2003).

To set the process isolation manually, you should highlight the option and click the Execute button.
The buttons will be disabled while the process executes.

Manual Procedure:

1. Open the Internet Service Manager and select a WebMail Virtual directory (opening its properties). Please see attached screen.
2. Firstly, remove application associated with the virtual directory all together (it will then use the application associated with the parent web site)
3. Remove the application and then re-create it again, giving it the name MEWebMail

We are currently trialing this fix and it seems to address the issue. ie: we have had no recurrence with those who have applied this fix.
Regards, Andrew