Webmail has stopped working from website

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
Keith Kittlesen

Webmail has stopped working from website

Post by Keith Kittlesen »

Over the weekend I moved Mail Enable from my old Dell Poweredge server running win 2000 server to a brand new machine running server 2008r2 (64 bit). I migrated config and postoffices etc IAW the KB article then updated the license once everything was working. When I left the mail server and web mail worked fine. I noticed a little later that my website wasn't quite right. I came in and changed the default page to mrgmain.html via IIS 7.5. As a matter of fact I looked at the page listing on the old server and made it look exactly the same. Now my web site works correctly but I get a 404 - File or directory not found. I've tried changing the default page back to the way it was but get the same error.

I can access the webmail fine through IIS by selecting browse through local host. I can type the.local.IP.address/mewebmail into Firefox and it works fine as well. Getting mail through a client (Thunderbird) works fine. The only thing that doesn't work is going to mydomainname/mewebmail. I don't see how changing the default page could make Web mail stop working but no other settings were changed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith Kittlesen

Keith Kittlesen

Re: Webmail has stopped working from website

Wow 2 days and not even a suggestion to reinstall 6.59 (which I've done but still get the 404 when going to mydomainname/mewebmail). So far this isn't an issue but it will become one when someone has to go offsite and check their mail. I don't know if this is an IIS or MEWebmail problem if someone could even give me a suggestion to get me started that would be great.

Thanks,
Keith Kittlesen

Brett Rowbotham

Post by Brett Rowbotham »

My suggestion is to check that default.aspx is listed as one of the default documents for your web site in IIS.

Cheers,
Brett

dbly

Post by dbly »

When you changed your default document you probably accidentally propagated those changes down to all subdirectories. If you remove and reinstall webmail from the website the problem will most likely be resolved.

You DON'T need to reinstall Mailenable. This is a 2-minute fix.

Using the MailEnable MMC interface. Drill Down into MailEnable -> MailEnable Managment -> Servers -> Localhost -> Services -> Webmail

Right-click on Webmail, select properties, then click the "Configure" button on the General tab.

Select your website and click the "Remove Webmail from selected site" button, then turn around and click the "Install Webmail for selected site" button.

Keith Kittlesen

Thank you both for your suggestions. I tried both but the problem still exists. I noticed that when I ran it as localhost (which works) that it used the url: http://mewebmail.localhost/Mondo/lang/sys/login.aspx. I tried using the http://mydomainname/mewebmail (dropping www.) and amazingly it works. There are a lot of changes between IIS 5 and 7.5 and I am just starting to learn the new IIS so does anyone know why dropping www. allows this to work? I'm changing the link off our website to http://mydomainname/mewebmail so hopefully this will solve the problem.

Thanks,
Keith Kittlesen

dbly

Post by dbly »

If it works without the www, but not with, then you may have an issue with the host headers on the domain. You would just need to add another set of headers. Under IIS 7.5 you will find them under "Edit Bindings" when you right-click on the domain in the IIS manager.

However, my guess is that it worked because it was hitting the MEWebmail folder on the default web site, which doesn't have any host headers assigned, whereas your website probably DOES have host headers assigned. In the IIS manager, do you see MEWebmail as an application under your website?

microwil

Post by microwil »

hi! I have the similar issue as you do. May be it is not mailenable related. Checking into mailenable's services, you can see all is running fine. And no matter you stop/restart any services of it, the problem still carry on. BUT, when I check on server's event viewer -> Application,I found a error record of ASP.NET 2.0 which stated sthg related to c:\Program Files\Mail enable\Bin\NETWebMail\Machine name. Don't know if that, ASP, could be the cause.

Keith Kittlesen

dbly wrote:If it works without the www, but not with, then you may have an issue with the host headers on the domain. You would just need to add another set of headers. Under IIS 7.5 you will find them under "Edit Bindings" when you right-click on the domain in the IIS manager.

However, my guess is that it worked because it was hitting the MEWebmail folder on the default web site, which doesn't have any host headers assigned, whereas your website probably DOES have host headers assigned. In the IIS manager, do you see MEWebmail as an application under your website?
Ok. After reading this I went back to your original suggestion and uninstalled the Webmail from the default website and installed it under the actual website and now it works fine. I was trying to set it up on the new server the same as I had it on the old but I guess some difference between IIS 5 and 7.5 made it not work right. So I guess that problem is solved. I did notice however that even though I have it turned on WebAdmin seems to have the same problem. Installing under the actual website didn't seem to fix that one.

My mistake! It did fix the Webadmin, I wasn't typing in the right URL which obviously won't work. This issue is solved.

Thanks,
Keith