Webmail login in Internet Explore 10

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
cemag

Webmail login in Internet Explore 10

Post by cemag » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:25 pm

We got a lot of customers migrating to Internet Exlorer 10. Now they cannot login in Mailenable Webmail because they cannot click on teh LOGIN button. It seems that somehow the button is disbled. The resset button does work.
IE9 and any other browsers I have tried do work.
We run MailEnable version 7. Updated last week.
Does anybody have any idea how to fix this?
Thank you!

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Webmail login in Internet Explore 10

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:33 am

Hi,

Looking into this further results indicate that you may need to update your .NET framework packages on server as it seems to be related to a bug within IE 10 due to framework packages that are not up to date. You can find more information about this here: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/BugAndFix ... ition.aspx
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

cemag

Post by cemag » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:00 pm

Dear Ian,

We have tryied the solution you offered but in our situation does not seems to work.
We are running a Windows server 2008 R2 with DotNet framework 4.5.
If I try to aply the two fixes i got errors "...not for your system..."
Any other ideas? This shoud not be that dificult. It is just a simple submit button.
Everybody using our webamail service started to complain.
I can't just demand that everybody use another browser.

Regards,
Gabriel Thijssen

aram

Post by aram » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:48 pm

Try setting the Webmail site to Compatibility View in IE 10

cemag

Post by cemag » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:16 pm

Sorry but I am looking for a solution not for a joke.
Do you think I am stupid? i know that on compatibility modus works. That is not the point.
How can I tel a few honder people that they have to do that and why should I even start such discussion?
Most of them don't even understand what a compatibility modus is.
If this does not get solved then I am serious considering migrating to a different solution.
I will hate to do that but my customers are more important.

Sonic Blue

Post by Sonic Blue » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:32 pm

cemag wrote:Sorry but I am looking for a solution not for a joke.
Do you think I am stupid? i know that on compatibility modus works. That is not the point.
How can I tel a few honder people that they have to do that and why should I even start such discussion?
Most of them don't even understand what a compatibility modus is.
If this does not get solved then I am serious considering migrating to a different solution.
I will hate to do that but my customers are more important.
The fix that IAN posted is most likely the proper fix (98% chance). Being a long time .NET Developer I know all about ASP.NET and the downleveling it does for older browsers. And what you described sounds exactly like that.

There is a big possibility that your ASP.NET WebMail Worker processors'/sites are using a different version of .NET. Double check what version they are using.

I would recommend trying to follow the recommendation @ Hansselmen's site
Search for "Machine-Wide Fixes" and "Site-Only Fixes" (directly below it).
If you know how to use a Diff file (like Beyond Compare) I would recommend diffing the ie.browser file on your server in the location specified by section (Machine-Wide Fixes) with the diff file provided in his manual download (get that from the "Site-Only Fixes").

If your WebMail is using a different version of .NET than the 4.5 you can either (try changing it to 4.5 and see if it breaks) or make sure that the above directions use whatever version of .NET your WebMail sites are using.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/BugAndFix ... ition.aspx

cemag

Post by cemag » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:46 pm

Thank you! I seems indeed that the application pool of the webmail site was running on .net 2.0. I have changed that and now it seems to work.

Sonic Blue

Post by Sonic Blue » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:00 pm

cemag wrote:Thank you! I seems indeed that the application pool of the webmail site was running on .net 2.0. I have changed that and now it seems to work.
Cool, glad to be of help and that you got it working. :)

cemag

Post by cemag » Wed May 01, 2013 12:43 pm

I think It was to premature for me to call this solved. I can login now allright but I can't send email anymore.
Everytime I click "SEND" it does nothing. the "SEND" button is disabled so I cannot click it again.
I gues the rest of the application is not so happy with the higher dotNet framework (4.5)
What now? This is becoming quiet annoying...

cemag

Post by cemag » Wed May 01, 2013 12:47 pm

So... the server error is "Server communicaation failure.Please refresh you browser and try again" (so I did) this show up only in IE. On firefox just hangs up.

cemag

Post by cemag » Wed May 01, 2013 1:01 pm

Turn everything back to version 2.0... at least some of my customers can use the webmail
Got a screenshot in here from the application pool in IIS.
http://cehost.nl/appspool.jpg

Sonic Blue

Post by Sonic Blue » Wed May 01, 2013 2:12 pm

You'll probably need to see if you can manually update your browser files for .NET Framework 2.0.

Re-read the post I pointed out which highlights the section(s) of interest if you have to do a manual update.

cemag

Post by cemag » Wed May 01, 2013 2:44 pm

I have tried to use the Microsoft fixes but did not work. I get an error on both of them telling me that this solutions are not for my system.
Trying to do this manual update on a life server give me the crips.
Almost everytime I had to do some twisted update I got in trouble.
Anyway. I think that what you are offering is a workaround and not a real solution.
Microsoft or MaiEnable should offer a proper fix for this so that customers not have to improvise with "workarounds".
I will try this manual update by the end of the week so if anything goes wrong I have time to fix it over the weekend.

Sonic Blue

Post by Sonic Blue » Wed May 01, 2013 2:59 pm

cemag wrote:I have tried to use the Microsoft fixes but did not work. I get an error on both of them telling me that this solutions are not for my system.
Trying to do this manual update on a life server give me the crips.
Almost everytime I had to do some twisted update I got in trouble.
Anyway. I think that what you are offering is a workaround and not a real solution.
Microsoft or MaiEnable should offer a proper fix for this so that customers not have to improvise with "workarounds".
I will try this manual update by the end of the week so if anything goes wrong I have time to fix it over the weekend.
Good luck.

Make sure you keep a backup copy of the old browser file(s). That way fixing the problem will be easy.

Is it safe to assume that you've done a "manual" Windows Update check and taken ALL Windows/.NET Framework updates? .

The two hotfixes (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2600100) and (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2608565#appliesto)
have "Very explicit" requirements. In the case of the first one, it requires ALL OSes (except 2k8) be @ SP1 and it requires ALL .NET 2.0 to be @ SP2.

The latter hotfix seems to be even more specific.

cemag

Post by cemag » Thu May 02, 2013 7:08 am

Hi! I could not wait untill friday so yesterday evening I did it.
Everything went well and this time everything seems to work.
Thank you!