new emailboxes are not mapped automatically

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
Arieslab

new emailboxes are not mapped automatically

Post by Arieslab »

Hi,
why, when I created a new emailbox, I must write manually the SMT: in Address tab?
Thank you
Furio

dbly

Re: new emailboxes are not mapped automatically

Post by dbly »

No, it should automatically populate - assuming that you have done the steps in the right order and already created the domain under "Domains" before adding the mailbox.

Keep in mind that the postoffice name is NOT a domain name. They are actually unrelated to each other.

So, if you create a POSTOFFICE called "example.com"

Then create a MAILBOX underneath it called "someone"

That account will authenticate as "somone@example.com" but won't get that mail - because we haven't created the domain.

Similarly, in our above example we create a DOMAIN of "example.net" under the postoffice of example.com, it will ask if we wish to add @example.net addresses to all of the mailboxes, and each new mailbox will get an @example.net address mapping - but they still won't get a @example.com address until you go back and add the domain or manually enter them.

You do have to be careful with your naming of postoffices. For example, you could name your postoffice "POSTOFFICE" and create "example.org" as a domain under it, and then a mailbox "someone". The user's email address would be "someone@example.org", but they would authenticate to the server as "someone@POSTOFFICE"

Arieslab

Post by Arieslab »

Mailenable was restored from a crash server.
Now all is working, the domain is correct, the old mailbox working correctly, that from July.
In this moment in an old Postoffice , witn existing domain, if I add new mailbox in Address Tab theree is nothing and the mailbox can't received. I must add manually SMTP address. I have checked for the domain, there is and is correctly.
May be in restore I forgett something.
Thank you
Furio

dbly

Post by dbly »

check your ./config/domain.tab file and make sure that it is there and complete. You should have a line that begins with the domain name that looks something like this:

{domainname} 1 0 {postofficename} 0 0 0 0

be careful - the fields are tab-separated, and not every column may have a value. To view and edit it you will need to use an editor that supports that kind of thing. I don't recommend Notepad :)

in the ./config/postoffices/{yourpostofficename} folder, are there POSTOFFICE.SYS and MAILBOX.TAB files?

If you create a new postoffice, then create a domain under it, and then create a mailbox - does that mailbox get an SMTP address?

If it does, compare the files in the config folder, the domain.tab, and postoffice.tab files to see what differences there are. It not, something else is wrong.

Arieslab

Post by Arieslab »

In config.tab the first line is different
localhost 1 0 localhost Lead0
without the for 0 at and localhost write twice,

All Columns are saperate by Tab, after [domainname] 1 0 there are two tab.

Postoffice.sys is in four Postoffices and not present in 16 postoffices.

Mailbox.tab is allways present.

I created a new Postoffice and a new domain and a new mailbox. Only Postmastrer has SMTP address,the new mailbox don't has, there is not postmaster.sys file and there is Mailbox.tab file.

Postoffice.tab has the some postooffices and the some domains in the some order, only different showing line, like this:
{domainname} 1 {postofficename}

Thank for your help

regards
Furio

dbly

Post by dbly »

something is definitely not right in that domain.tab file.

It is normal to have a line with localhost immediately before the postoffice name - that is your "default" postoffice, where users don't need to supply the domain name when they authenticate. However, it should not begin with localhost - it should begin with the domain name.

Have you done an in-place install of MailEnable over the top of your installation, and allowed it to upgrade all of the files, webmail, etc? If you haven't you will want to do that.

Aside from that, if you have the hardware laying around you could try to build a temporary staging server. Install MailEnable on it, make sure that it works, and migrate the post offices over - then clean up the server, complete uninstall / delete folders / reinstall and move the postoffices back. You didn't get into what crashed on the original server, whether it was hardware / software / compromised / etc - but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and do a bare-metal refresh if your backups aren't as good as you thought they were (and if things didn't work after the restore, they weren't)

If you don't want to do that, I would suggest opening a support ticket ( https://www.mailenable.com/support/step1.asp ) There is only so much we can do as far as community support in the forums, and this is well beyond the normal configuration issues.

Arieslab

Post by Arieslab »

My old server was hardware crashed, I am using a Virtual server now.
In this new server I make a new installation, and I created manually all Postoffices as new amd all the mailboxes manually.
I recovery the old files of mailenable for have archived emails, and copy this folder in the new server following your instruction in requestID 26072.

I update to 7.5.3 last week without problems.

First line of domain.tab is a Postoffice created when I installed mailenable, but is not the default Postoffice, in property of SMTP services the default Postoffice is in the third line of domain.tab, but any differences to other postoffices.

Stopped the services for reinstalling is not so easy.

Next week I will open a support ticket.