What Anti Virus Software do you use? Why?

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.

What Anti Virus Software do you use?

F-Prot
28%
AVG
22%
McAffee
18%
Norman
1%
Norton
21%
Panda
6%
Sophos
4%

Total votes: 82

MANAR

Post by MANAR »

I dont know why Norton is used that much when it is one of the most expensive?

Anyone else tired of the Antivirus Software providers for everyday changing their price structure?

juicey

What Anti Virus Software do you use?

Post by juicey »

I've been using the Free AVG6 quite successfully. I also use Trend Officescan for the desktop protection.
The AVG6 is setup to automatically update every day but resident scanning and email support are disabled.
Trend Officescan client is also running on this machine but it is configured to exclude the Mailenable folders from being scanned.

MrByte

Post by MrByte »

I use Panda CommandLineSecure. It is a great product, almost no footprint and very CPU friendly.
After long back and forth, I finally got the "automated" virus signature update for the Panda CommandLineSecure working, which was the only thing stopping me from not switching to anything else.
As for pricing, they make you buy minimum 5 licenses, so you end up shelling out almost $60 for a 1 year service.

-MrByte

jcremin

Post by jcremin »

Hello,
I am trying to use the DOS version of f-prot and I'm not having any luck. Can anyone give me a step by step approach to configuring it and getting it working!!

Thanks,
Joe

Kiliman

Post by Kiliman »

See my post to techcall about AVG scanning http://forum.mailenable.com/viewtopic.php?t=3607

In this case, the command line for F-Prot is:

Code: Select all

fpcmd eicar_com.zip /ARCHIVE /NOBOOT /NOMEM /AUTO
The error code returned from F-Prot should be 3.

Code: Select all

echo %ERRORLEVEL%
Let me know how this goes.

Kiliman

jcremin

Post by jcremin »

I actually have just the DOS package.... F-PROT.EXE... so the file you said to use doesn't exist on my system.. I finally got fed up with trying to make the cheapie work, and I got AVG7 and it seems to work well.

One question though. I have the option to notify an email address whenever a virus is found, and that works when the message is coming from an external domain. but if it's coming from another one on the ME system, it doesn't notify.

Any Ideas?

Thanks again,
Joe

techcall

Post by techcall »

I'll argue strongly against enabling the "Notify Sender" feature. Why? 99%+ of the virus attacks today forge the sender.

Sending a notification to someone saying THEY SENT A VIRUS (when nothing could be further from the truth) does two bad things:

1. It harms business relationships (do you want your best client getting one of those messages?).
2. It makes the traffic problem much worse.

jcremin

Post by jcremin »

I'm not trying to notify the sender. In mailenable, there is a place to put an email address to notify when a virus has been found. I would like to use it kind of like a logging feature, at least for a few weeks just to monitor how many virii it's catching.. the problems is, it only notifies me when it comes from an address that isn't part a postoffice of the ME server.

Joe

my_forum_id

Post by my_forum_id »

We use F-Prot because :

1) It's so easy to set up in ME
2) It works (will scan 2 deep zip's if you remove the /auto option)
3) It's a bargain - 10 servers coverd for $50 / year !

webfeat

Post by webfeat »

can someone that is running Panda please give me some advice.
I followed this link http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/commandline/ clicked on Try, filled out the form and clicked the download link. This downloads a 187mb file called "Panda Enterprise" not "Panda Commandline" like I was expecting. Once downloaded it tries to install something called "admin secure" and needs things like an MDSE database. I am sure you should not need that for simple virus scanning.

anyone shed any light? :?

[edit]just installed F-prot, install was simple and it found all my test virus's. Would still like to try Panda though[/edit]
Webfeat

Webfeat Reserves the right to be profoundly wrong in any instance.

freelancer

Post by freelancer »

Can Symantec AntiVirus 8.1 Small Business Edition - 5 User Pack be used with MailEnable instead of the Corporate edition?

I was also wondering the same thing about Panda Software. I had to download the 187mb file, but after installing it -- it only installs the CommandLine product and all attempts of trying to install the "admin secure console" that comes with it fails. Seems like it's bundled together, but the Try install will only run the CommandLine product feature.

puzzled

Post by puzzled »

We found that SAV's command line scanner is too demanding on system resources resulting in missed responses. Under a a more than minimal load it will generate false positives and a ton of user inquiries. Until ME can interface with the resident realtime scanner, it is not a good choice. We have found McAfee CL scanner to be a much better solution. We have not evaluated Panda (never could get better than a multi-user quote). SAV SBE may include vscand.exe, but you can obtain a single copy of SAV CE less expensively.

MrByte

Post by MrByte »

webfeat wrote:can someone that is running Panda please give me some advice.
I followed this link http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/commandline/ clicked on Try, filled out the form and clicked the download link. This downloads a 187mb file called "Panda Enterprise" not "Panda Commandline" like I was expecting. Once downloaded it tries to install something called "admin secure" and needs things like an MDSE database. I am sure you should not need that for simple virus scanning.

anyone shed any light? :?

[edit]just installed F-prot, install was simple and it found all my test virus's. Would still like to try Panda though[/edit]

Webfeat, you have no idea how much hassle it was to finally get the "right" version of the command line. You can apparently NOT get it with a direct link on their website but only after you pay for it and get access as a customer.
But, after that, it works just great. The only issue I'm still trying to work out with Panda HQ is how to automate the signature updates.... it is not part of the product and only gets updated if you run one of their Server class AV software..... or manually.
But, I'm still trying, let see what results here.

Kaivik

Try avast! AV

Post by Kaivik »

avast! server edition is SMOKIN AVWare!

merk

Post by merk »

i just installed f-prot and it seems to be working. it caugh the eicar test virus and a real virus i pulled out of quarantine. I'm going to install the trial on our live server and see how well it does.

One thing though. Is there any way to exclude a directory from the real time protection? i didnt see a way of doing that.