Recipient Denied: (IPAddress) has no PTR.

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
ccaldwell

Recipient Denied: (IPAddress) has no PTR.

Post by ccaldwell » Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:31 pm

Does anyone know how to fix this error in the SMTP debug log files? Thanks!

10/01/03 11:58:33 Domain [dblair.com] has MX list [mail.dblair.com,mailhost.xo.com]
10/01/03 11:58:33 Local Delivery: Address ([SMTP:postmaster@dblairltd.com]) is local.
10/01/03 11:58:33 Recipient Denied: (64.2.198.74) has no PTR.
10/01/03 11:58:33 (Debug) [460] end of conversation
10/01/03 11:59:45 (Debug) [428] end of conversation

ccaldwell

David Payer

under smtp properties

Post by David Payer » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 pm

David Payer[/img]

David Payer

It is under the SMTP properties

Post by David Payer » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:06 pm

David Payer

(a bit of problems with the extra tags in the previous post)[/img]

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:08 pm

ACKKKKKKK

It keeps adding the final tag.

for an image: http://www.iowalink.com/images/smtp.gif

(preview.... preview.... preview.....)

cassius

Post by cassius » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:08 pm

I think he meant:

:wink:

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:14 pm

Thanks! But how do I resolve it on the other end. I have ptr records for the formentioned domain but it still refuses it. Thanks again!

Clark

cassius

Post by cassius » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:21 pm

By referring to that image, I think he meant "uncheck the box that says "Require PTR DNS entry for unauthenticated connections".

Slicer101

Post by Slicer101 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:54 pm

The way that I have gone about fixing the other guy is by sending this little tidbit so that they can get their DNS records corrected. You would be suprised to see how many folks out there just do not have all teh needed records in place.

Good Luck!

Slicer 8)

In order for other Mail Servers and Clients to be able to send mail to your mail server, you will need to ensure that you have the appropriate published DNS records. These records are used by other mail servers to locate your server when they attempt to parse recipient addresses (ie: it allows a domain name to equate to an IP Address). Exactly how you choose to configure DNS depends largely on whether you are hosting your own publicly accessible DNS server or whether a third party (typically an ISP) is hosting your DNS for you.

For each domain serviced you should ensure that the following the following DNS Records exist:

DNS Record Type Explanation
A RECORD An A record should be registered for the mail host. It associated the IP Address of the host with its host name.
MX RECORD An MX record should be defined for each domain that is hosted. It allows remote mail servers to identify the host name of the mail host.
PTR RECORD The PTR record maps an IP address of the host to its host name. The PTR record is used for reverse lookups.

Our Server makes a check for these records whenever a new e-mail is received. If it does not receive the correct response, it considers the e-mail to be from a bad or invalid domain and rejects it.

The following are reference points & guides that can be used when troubleshooting DNS issues.

http://www.tzo.com/MainPageSupport/HowT ... erver.html
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=172953
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308201

bigsuma

Question Regarding Mailenable Pro and Ensim 2003 for windows

Post by bigsuma » Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:36 pm

If im not mistaken the new ENSIM 2003 doesnt require the use of a LOCAL DNS server to function ..

how does this affect the way mailenable handles REVERSE DNS lookup for the local server ip??

I notice in my Diag that all my local ips do not resolve .. ive even added entries to LMHOSTS and enabled lmhosts lookup ..

Is there anyway i can fix this problem. . as my customers say they get a lot of rejected emails

HELP

Thanks

Steve Reynolds