Frontpage Emailing of forms & authentication error

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
ITNet Services

Frontpage Emailing of forms & authentication error

Post by ITNet Services » Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:16 pm

I am testing the hosting of a new clients site. The site was created in Frontpage. An html page is used to submit questions. When the submit button is clicked, an error is reported telling the webmaster to see the servers application log.
The application log along with Mailenable's SMTP log report an "authentication required" error #503.
I should be able to send mail from within an HTML doc (a form) without requiring authentication.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

ITNet Services

Disregard

Post by ITNet Services » Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:41 pm

In order to process the form, the domain must be created within Mainenable.

Authentication

Post by guest » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:08 pm

I think the issue here (only because the same thing is happening to me) is that ME is set to require authentication so that the authenticated users can then relay mail. So, I think his question is, and I KNOW my question is...

How do I tell IIS to authenticate into the ME server to send the mail?

OR

How do I safely set up a mailbox that IIS can send to without authenticating without opening myself up to everyone in the world relaying through me?

I'm sorry if that is not very clear. I'm still a bit of a noobie at all this fun stuff. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

DevelopStuff

Post by DevelopStuff » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:25 pm

You either

a) have to setup a script that uses sockets and authenticates...

or

b) setup your local IP to be the only allowed relay w/o authentication

DevelopStuff

Post by DevelopStuff » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:16 pm

you COULD... theorhetically.. set up a separate SMTP server on a different port.. and block that port off to incoming connections, then use that as your open relay for internal use only.. setup your scripts to use that as the default SMTP server for commands...

Jake