Webmail Interface Problems

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
bob

Webmail Interface Problems

Post by bob »

:x
I really like the MailEnable Web interface. I travel a lot and just use MailEnable for my own email requirements. It's great to get access via the web. I am concerned that the Pro license will (?) expire and i'll have to revert to dragging by PC all over the place again.... BooHoo...

In the mean time i have a problem with the web interface. I changed the name of the server and some of the networking set up to support a local workgroup. That seemed to mess up mailenable pro. I uninstalled everything (standard and pro) and deleted the user accounts. I then did a clean install of the whole lot again (after getting the updated files from your web site). The webmail works again but it doesn show any of the graphics, buttons, etc. How can i get those to appear? They just show up as little boxes with red x's in them. I am assuming that some priviledges have got knackered in the process.

Any help will be appreciated. Keep up the good work.

bob

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Bob, if you right click on the image marker (red cross) and select Properties from within IE, it will tell you where it is attempting to access the images from. If you post this path it will give some more insight into why the file cannot be found.

Thx
Regards, Andrew

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

If the images aren't being displayed, it could be that you aren't referencing the site from the full path name. Try access the webmail using the full path:

http://servername/mewebmail

If you don't have the "mewebmail" there (for instance, if you point your web site directly to the login page), the images aren't displayed. You can still use just the domain name, as long as you have a redirection page to the mewebmail virtual directory.

bob

Duh, fixed it.

Post by bob »

:shock: I don't know how..... I just managed to fix it. I think that when the server changed its name, the anonymous user account got knackered in the process. Re-installing everything obviously didn't put it right. Odd. Anyway I got around the problem by going into the WEB IIS console and re-assigning the MEwebmail user account to point to the new (or proper) anonymous account (which looked the same but has the new server name against it). Anyway. It seems to work. A lot of luck was involved. Random presses of buttons. Crossed fingers etc. Actually I also re-shared the MEwebmail as webmail as the pointer to MEwebmail doesn't work whereas the webmail link does. Even odder? Hey we are talking about windows here! Actually i don't think this had anything to do with your software. I think it was a IIS issue all along.
Thanks for your support. I really appreciate it.

Incidentally, what's the deal for keeping the web mail running? I don't mind paying for a good bit of software - which this is. But as a single user i cannot justify a cost aimed at an enterprise. I might end up hosting a couple of other accounts. My kids, relatives etc (who are fed up with hotmail) but i am NEVER going to do it for commercial gain. I just want to offer a free service to people i know. I noticed a few other people are interested to know how you are planning on pricing all this. I too wait hoping that i can afford to indulge.

Cheers,
Bob

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Bob,

MailEnable uses the IME_USER account as the proxy account for IIS for its Virtual Web directory. Although the web site could run as ISR_{MachineName}, using IME_USER is intended to avoid the precise issues you mentioned earlier - ie: the machine name changes.

None the less, if it is not broken, why fix it!
Regards, Andrew

bob

why change stuff?

Post by bob »

Cos its fun :D
Thanks