Wildcard Problems

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
Cyberprog

Wildcard Problems

Post by Cyberprog »

Some of my customers have wildcard DNS setup on a unique IP.
Mailenable can't recognise these, and tries to enter an infinite loop when i allowed that IP to relay.

Can mailenable be updated to notice wildcard domains in the form of *@*.domain.tld please!
British Airways billboard ad: Breakfast in London, lunch in New York.
Spraycan addition: Luggage in Bermuda.

Cyberprog

Post by Cyberprog »

Cmon, no response from support?

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

MailEnable should accomodate wildcard dns entries as these are simply DNS lookups, but I dont understand about the IP to relay portion. If you could post parts of your log and pinpoint the issue, we can advise.
Regards, Andrew

Cyberprog

Post by Cyberprog »

Well, normally mailenable recognises the domain name as being local, but with wildcards, it fails to recognise the domain is local, tries to connect to itself, can't, fails. If i allow it to relay to itself then it loops.

Is that clearer?

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

For inbound messages, MailEnable receives traffic as a result of DNS entries (independant of the mail server).

For outbound traffic, mailenable will check to see if the domain name is local, and if so, will bypass DNS and send locally. If the domain cannot be determined as being local, then it will check the configured DNS server (MMC SMTP Connector properties).

Hence, mailenable operates quite independant of DNS, in as much as it relies on it to return a valid IP address for the lookup request (when sending outbound).

You cannot (and should not) attempt creating domains with wildcards in their names. MailEnable's MMC prevents you from doing this.
Regards, Andrew

Cyberprog

Post by Cyberprog »

support wrote: You cannot (and should not) attempt creating domains with wildcards in their names. MailEnable's MMC prevents you from doing this.
Didn't seem to. Anyway, as a wildcard domain is permissable via the RFC's, can we have support for wildcard domains added please.