Httpmail & Outlook express 6

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
Leveller

Httpmail & Outlook express 6

Post by Leveller »

Hi

Just waiting a response from the sales guys but will post here too. We are looking at the professional version.

We need to have the webmail mimic the outlook folders i.e. if someone sends email via the web from say a hotel, when the user starts up outlook at the office if refects anything done via the webmail i.e. sent items, read mails, unread mails, deleted items, moved items..

Is this possible or do we need to shell out for Exchange server? :evil:

Kind regards

Lee

BlueRocket

Post by BlueRocket »

From my expereince it does that no problem.

I have a couple accounts that I use the HTTPmail on. So I can check them while visiting a clients office without plugging my laptop into their network. Once I return to the office, I connect from Outlook and everything is good.

If you want the True "Exchange" expereince, then you might want to consider the Enterprise version. It will offer IMAP support (which is want exchange does - keeping your mail file on the server).
"I have no special talents, I am only passionately curious" - Albert Einstein

cassius

Post by cassius »

HTTPMail seems almost identical to IMAP. The only problems I've had with it, are when several dozen people are trying to access the HTTPMail service simultaneously. I don't think this is necessarily MailEnable's fault... the HTTPMail protocol was developed by Microsoft to interface Outlook (Express) and Hotmail from what I understand, and its limited scope is what makes it not as robust as IMAP.

MailEnable has a beta IMAP module that you can try if you don't want to wait for Enterprise, but Enterprise is scheduled for release this month, so if you have the money for it you might as well wait eagerly on the sidelines with the rest of us =)