Abuse protection

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
cglavan

Abuse protection

Post by cglavan »

My server consists of ME installed with ASSP spam filter on the same machine. This setup has been working almost perfectly for me for some time now, however I have one issue that I can't seem to resolve.

I am unable to effectively use the abuse protection feature built into ME which temporarily blocks an IP for authentication attacks. An example of this is that one of my clients has an account that is constantly being attacked. I have in place the option to lock the account for 60 minutes after 10 attempts, however this is becoming an issue since I must manually unlock the account on a regular basis. The problem is that if I block the IP address using the abuse protection, I am effectively blocking the local IP address since the authentication request is coming through ASSP on the same machine. In doing so, I'm effectively disabling my mail server for whatever time period the abuse protection option enforces.

I have been unable to find an appropriate setting in ASSP to achieve this, and searching the internet for a solution hasn't been productive. Does anyone have any idea of how I can resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance,

-Chris