pop service max cpu, doesn't close connections

mfogarty

pop service max cpu, doesn't close connections

Postby mfogarty » Tue May 24, 2016 6:09 pm

hi. i'm running 8.61 pro on a 2012 server vm at azure. yesterday i noticed my outlook wasn't able to download mail over pop. i remoted into the server and the pop service was using all the cpu. netstat showed dozens of connections to the pop service on 110 & 995 in close_wait state. in the me admin program in pop connections i saw lots of connections in retr status that had been open for a long time, some for hours. pop was not responding for anyone so i stopped that service, but the connections didn't close and the cpu use didn't go down. i tried stopping the service from admin tools as well as from within the me console, they both seemed like they worked (status changed to stopped) but the service remained on task manager using all the available cpu. i tried killing the mepops.exe process from task manager and got access denied. same result with taskkill and pskill, both running as administrator. the only way i was able to restore functionality was to reboot the vm. after that everything ran fine overnight, but this morning i'm seeing the same thing happening. mepops.exe is using all cpu, netstat shows dozens of connections on 110 & 995 in close_wait state that don't ever go away, me admin shows all those connections in retr status for a few hours now, and i can't kill the process. i'm not having trouble with any other services. smtp, imap & mta are all working ok, albeit slowly due to the lack of resources. do you have any ideas on what might be happening? any good way to terminate the pop service process without rebooting?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: pop service max cpu, doesn't close connections

Postby MailEnable-Ian » Mon May 30, 2016 12:02 am

Hi,

This sounds like a proxy/firewall that is filtering the POP connections and locking them up. Do you route through a proxy?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

mfogarty

Re: pop service max cpu, doesn't close connections

Postby mfogarty » Mon May 30, 2016 5:19 am

hi ian. no, no proxy. firewall is the regular windows firewall. i've been running me on azure vms for years, and on this particular vm for about 6 months. nothing in the setup has changed and i never had any trouble til last week.