Having issues with outgoing mail filter (for archiving purposes)

NateB

Having issues with outgoing mail filter (for archiving purposes)

Postby NateB » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:20 pm

I'm currently running MailEnable Professional Edition, version 9.04. I have a mailbox I want to archive using archiving software (Mail Piler) I've set up on a separate VPS. Using this article (https://www.mailenable.com/kb/content/article.asp?ID=ME020395), I've set up both incoming and outgoing filters. The incoming filter works perfectly. However, I can't for the life of me get the outgoing filter to work. I've tried changing the email address to forward to even to local mailboxes (on the MailEnable server), and even that won't work. How can I go about figuring out what's amiss?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Having issues with outgoing mail filter (for archiving purposes)

Postby MailEnable-Ian » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:44 pm

Hi,

What outgoing filter did you create? Is the filter suppose to trigger on a specific mail from address?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

NateB

Postby NateB » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:29 am

Hi Ian,

The filter is set as follows:
1) Criteria: "Where the From header line contains specific words." Here, I added *mailbox@mydomain.tld* (which is a local mailbox on my MailEnable server) in the short word list.
2) Actions: "Forward message to specific recipient." Here, I added an external email address: externalmailbox@otherdomain.tld.

When I send an email from mailbox@mydomain.tld, the message is NOT forwarded to externalmailbox@otherdomain.tld. It's odd, seeing how my incoming filter (set up similarly, only using the criteria "When the To or CC header contains specific words" instead) works perfectly. Is this a known issue with this version of MailEnable (version 9.04), or have I botched a configuration setting?!

Thanks so much for the reply, Ian!

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Postby MailEnable-Ian » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:43 am

Hi,

No this should work as you have intended. Not sure why its not triggering. Check the filter log files under: servers > localhost > Extensions > Message Filter > Logs > Filters. Check to see if the filter is executing by searching for the message ID or the criteria. You might want to download 9.50 from the downloads page and perform the upgrade to ensure you have all the latest fixes and updates. This might not fix the problem but is best practice to be on the latest anyways.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

NateB

Postby NateB » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:00 am

Hi Ian,

Looking at the filter log alerted me to my underlying issue. Stupidly, I ordered my filters incorrectly for what I wanted to do (I have a "stop processing" filter for some of my local domains that always get marked as spam; I just had to shuffle the outgoing forwarding filter to the top of the filter list). That leads to a couple of mostly unrelated questions:

1) The local mailbox that I have used for testing my email archiving configuration WILL NOT render any results when using the built-in Track Message application when I search with that mailbox as the sender. The Track message application functions properly when I enter that mailbox in the recipient field. I haven't found any of my other local mailboxes that have that issue. It's just odd. Any idea what could cause that?

2) You mentioned updating my installation of MailEnable to the current release (9.50). I definitely want to do that, but I'm nervous about upgrading my production mail server. Have you heard of anyone having any unexpected issues arise during an upgrade? Is that any extra configuration/changes that need to happen after an upgrade?

Thanks so much for getting me on the right track to figure out my filter issue, Ian!! I do greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Nate

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Postby MailEnable-Ian » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:25 am

Hi,

1) The local mailbox that I have used for testing my email archiving configuration WILL NOT render any results when using the built-in Track Message application when I search with that mailbox as the sender. The Track message application functions properly when I enter that mailbox in the recipient field. I haven't found any of my other local mailboxes that have that issue. It's just odd. Any idea what could cause that?

Try and select the option for "Back trace Message from outgoing Queue to Origin".

2) You mentioned updating my installation of MailEnable to the current release (9.50). I definitely want to do that, but I'm nervous about upgrading my production mail server. Have you heard of anyone having any unexpected issues arise during an upgrade? Is that any extra configuration/changes that need to happen after an upgrade?

No issues the upgrade should complete without problems and requires minimal downtime. It will provide an option to retain your current configuration and data.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support