Forwarding email from old to new server

JonathanWillcock

Forwarding email from old to new server

Postby JonathanWillcock » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:34 pm

Hi

I am in the planning stage of a change in internet hosts. I am relatively unconcerned about possible downtime for my WebSite FTP etc, but I am concerned to limit the downtime of my email server.

The problem as I see it is that when I change the DNS records to point to the new IP address, there is a lag before this gets propagated across the internet. So my question is: once I have my new email server up and running, can I get my old email server automatically to forward email (both incoming and outgoing) to the new IP address whilst waiting for the new DNS records to propagate?

The alternative would be to ask users to change their email clients to from mail.domain.com to xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa, but this is a bit of a hassle, and not all are technically minded!

Many thanks for any help/advice.

Jonathan

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Forwarding email from old to new server

Postby MailEnable-Ian » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:01 am

Hi,

The way to do this while the DNS propagation is taking place is to configure the old servers domains to smart host to the new server. You first have to delete all the mailboxes from within the postoffice on the old server though, and have already migrated the data across to the new server prior to the deleting the mailboxes. What this does is, while the DNS records still point to the old server it will still accept the message then smart host it off to the new server (providing the mailbox does not exist locally otherwise it will deliver it locally).
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support