How to authorised a third party bulk mailing service to deliver locally?

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
cjard

How to authorised a third party bulk mailing service to deliver locally?

Post by cjard »

My MailEnable is responsible for XYZ.com domain's mailboxes, but for sending we'd like to use a bulk mailing service, AuthSMTP

The problem I have is that when authsmtp is delivering messages from e.g. the contact form on our website, the website submits a mail to AuthSMTP where the SMTP commands issued are:

MAIL FROM:website@xyz.com
RCPT TO:website@xyz.com

Etc.. This naturally results in AuthSMTP (a foreign SMTP service) connecting to port 25 of my MailEnable and quoting a MAIL FROM that contains a domain that ME thinks it is responsible for. When we throw in the fact that AuthSMTP won't have authenticated (because it's just acting like a third party mail server and they don't authenticate) it looks like a spam, and ME rejects it with an error message that authentication must be used if quoting a FROM address that is locally hosted/ME is responsible for

I'm now wondering how I can permit these delivery attempts to MailEnable?

I'm fairly sure I can add a blanket approve based on IP address of authsmtp.com's server, the only problem with that is there are thousands of them, and even with wildcards it's a bit of a pain. Is there some alternative method? Can ME be made to check the SPF and see "authsmtp.com is allowed to impersonate xyz.com" and allow the delivery (for example)?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: How to authorised a third party bulk mailing service to deliver locally?

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Is the error that is returned a 551 error? If so then this is caused by the MailEnable SMTP "Address Spoofing" option. The way round this is to add the IP address of the "AuthSMTP" server to the MailEnable SMTP relay option for "Allow privileged IP ranges to relay" under the "Deny all" except those in the list. Then set the SMTP "Address Spoofing" option to "Authorized connections can spoof the sender address".

http://www.mailenable.com/documentation ... Relay.html
http://www.mailenable.com/documentation ... urity.html
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support