How do I prevent an email from ending up in Junk?

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
dcol

How do I prevent an email from ending up in Junk?

Post by dcol »

How do I prevent a legit email from ending up in Junk? There is no email whitelist.
Not having email address whitelists is a bad idea. I am not going to whitelist, let's say, a gmail, or yahoo SMTP IP just so one user is whitelisted.
That is insane and more of a security risk than a spoofed email. Besides, they have hundreds of IP's
Also, using a filter in Message Manager doesn't work. I have the first filter looking at the FROM header and then should stop processing on a match. Doesn't work, all the filters including SA are still processed. Many legit emails listed in the first filter, which should have stopped processing on a match, end up in the Junk E-Mail. Many hit the DKIM filter, which is the 5th filter in the order rank of filters.

If I look at the Message filter log, it only shows the DKIM filter and not the first one which should have stopped processing.
How can I see all the filters that are processed? How do I even know it hit the first filter? And why did it not stop processing filters?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: How do I prevent an email from ending up in Junk?

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Whitelisting sender email addresses is a mailbox level option. You need to login to the web mail client and navigate to the "Options" page and then under the "Spam" node you will see whitelist where you can add whitelisted email addresses and domains.

For your problems with filters not executing on the FROM address, did you embrace the email address you added with wildcards? I.e.: *test@exampledomain.com*

The filtering log will only show/report filters that executed and returned a positive result and executed an action. The following article can help trace further:

http://www.mailenable.com/kb/content/ar ... D=ME020529
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

dcol

Re: How do I prevent an email from ending up in Junk?

Post by dcol »

Thanks for your response. I recommend adding a global email whitelist, or at least a whitelist at the management level. Very few of my users use webmail, rather their client such as Outlook. I personally would use the global whitelist for TLD's.

Adding wildcards fixed the filters issue. You need to add to the manual that wildcards are mandatory or the header filter does not work.