email aliases and multiple domains

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
einarsen

email aliases and multiple domains

Post by einarsen » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:19 am

Apologies, this is a long post, but it's a somewhat complex issue, and I can't afford to be vague.

I have noticed the following behaviour with MailEnable Pro and really want to understand the difference. I need to understand this before switching over to MailEnable from my current Linux mail server.

If I have a Postoffice and I use the default domain created for it then all is well. For example, I use Postoffice something.com and it automatically creates the domain something.com for me. No problem, the email domain functions correctly.

When I create the second domain for the Postoffice somethingelse.com I get the following message:
Do you wish to add an alias email for this domain for each mailbox in the postoffice?
If I click "No" then none of the emails in the domain will receive emails. If I click "Yes" then the emails in the domain work. All DNS settings are configured correctly (as evidenced by the fact that the emails will work if I click "Yes".).

What is this message box really asking? I've searched through the PDF documentation and found no occurances of the word "alias" and I'm not 100% sure how to interpret this. I could guess but I'd rather not.

I really want to understand this issue. I'm a little bit worried, because of the way the message is worded, that if / when I add users to the Postoffice later that they will not be connected to all domains (which doesn't make sense, but I need to be sure).

Thanks,
Brad

MrByte

Post by MrByte » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:04 pm

As far as I understand this it has to do with the creation of aliases on the other domains within the new PostOffice you are creating.
For example lets say you have a PostOffice called TheDomain

Under the PostOffice TheDomain, you have a Domain called TheDomain.com

Now you want to create a new Domain called TheDomain.org or OtherDomain.com.
If you say Yes, what will happen, is that the other Accounts that already are created, will also receive as an alias for the new Domain, that is if you have you@TheDomain.com, it will also receive e-mail for the newly created Domain(you@TheDomain.org or you@OtherDomain.com).

After that, any new Account created in that PostOffice, automatically will get aliases for all Domains
.MrByte

einarsen

editable?

Post by einarsen » Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:53 pm

Does anyone know if this magical setting is editable after you have created the domain?

--Brad

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:42 pm

I usually just have each post office made up for each domain since I am not wanting aliasing anyhow.

that is

postoffice domaina.com
domain domaina.com

postoffice domainb.com
domain domainb.com

etc.

chris