POP3 Sort

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
andyvm

POP3 Sort

Post by andyvm »

Does MailEnable offer any sorting options through the POP3 Connector?

I use ePrompter for check mail at work and this takes it first come first serve for the e-mails. But I believe the e-mails are dished out via file name. Is there any way to sort this via date?

Thanks!
Andy

christophw

Post by christophw »

I second that - Eudora also gets email out of order. It would be *ideal* if ME would dish out based on Received Date.

This was the single one real annoyance I had (and still have) with ME - I had to do sort by sent date in Eudora, which is a problem with people that got their clock settings wrong.

Chris

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Set the following registry key to sort the POP output. You will likely need to add this if it doesn't exist.

Code: Select all

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mail Enable\Mail Enable\Services\POP]
"Sort Messages"=dword:00000001

christophw

Post by christophw »

Mind to expand why received date sorting is not the default when delivering mails via POP3?

Chris

andyvm

Works!

Post by andyvm »

Works great, thanks Admin!

Would be a good FAQ question...

jsprinkle

Post by jsprinkle »

Hmm, yes. This was annoying me as well. It took me a while to find this solution. I'm curious too - why not sort by default? I've heard that most other mail servers sort POP3 message-numbers. This kinda makes MailEnable an "odd beast."

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

The reason for not sorting by default is that the RFC does not require you to do this. (but it does not say no to).

It is typically the clients responsibility to sort the messages. The server should not have to do it; but we provide a registry key to have the server do it. in case the client does not

A KB article to outline the setting is apparently in the pipe.
Regards, Andrew

dean2004

Post by dean2004 »

support wrote:The reason for not sorting by default is that the RFC does not require you to do this. (but it does not say no to).

It is typically the clients responsibility to sort the messages. The server should not have to do it; but we provide a registry key to have the server do it. in case the client does not

A KB article to outline the setting is apparently in the pipe.
You stole my post haha