User is not receiving emails, how long to rebuild index?

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
R4LRetro

User is not receiving emails, how long to rebuild index?

Post by R4LRetro » Thu May 14, 2020 4:13 pm

Greetings.

I have a email-heavy user that claims "Mail is disappearing regularly, it usually comes back though." in Thunderbird. He has dealt with this issue for a while but I'd like to get it fixed if possible.

Some Google-fu suggests rebuilding his index for his mail account. My questions are: Will this actually fix his issue? How long would it take to re-index a mailbox that is almost 6GB in size?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: User is not receiving emails, how long to rebuild index?

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Mon May 18, 2020 12:04 am

Hi,

The question is what version of Professional are you running? If an outdated version then it may be a problem that has been fixed in a later version relating to an indexing bug. If you need to update the index then the best way would be to create a _change.dty file (an empty text file) using Windows Notepad and save the file as: _change.dty. Place the file in the folder and then login to either web mail or IMAP to force an index update.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

R4LRetro

Post by R4LRetro » Mon May 18, 2020 2:38 pm

Thank you for the reply, but this doesn't answer one of my questions: About how long would it take to re-index a 6GB mailbox?

We're running MailEnable Professional 9.84. Previously we were on 9.00 and the same issues were happening.

R4LRetro

Post by R4LRetro » Tue May 19, 2020 11:22 am

Thanks for the reply. Still, that doesn't answer my other question: How long does it take roughly to re-index a 6GB mailbox? I want to try this out but I also do not want to cause issues here at my job.

We're running MailEnable Professional 9.84 finally after running 9.00 for a long time.

R4LRetro

Post by R4LRetro » Sun May 24, 2020 2:52 pm

Well, re-indexing doesn't seem to have fixed anything, and I'm running out of patience with this forum's lacksadaisal response time.

dbly

Post by dbly » Sun May 24, 2020 5:55 pm

This is a community discussion forum, not a priority support forum, but you still got a next business day response from Mail Enable on how to force an index rebuild. If you need a faster response, support tickets can be created from the main website under "Support" then "Raise Support Ticket". It is the option directly underneath the option that brought you to this forum.

I should also point out that you are running quite an old branch of MailEnable. While 9.84 is the most recent version in that branch, Version 10 was released in November 2017. That is the branch that most of us run, so if you want community support from other mail administrators then you will want to highly consider upgrading to the version that the rest of us use. If you want to stick on version 9 that is fine, but your support options are more limited and you may have to use paid support instead of community support.

As you discovered when you rebuilt the index, it doesn't take very long. One probable reason nobody replied because by the time they could have entered a response the rebuild would have been complete. Since it gets rebuild every time a message arrives it was probably rebuilt before you ever posted a message about it. One of the reasons why there isn't a lot of activity on these forums is because MailEnable works so well that it doesn't NEED a lot of support, so experienced admins don't need to hang out here on a regular basis.

Indexes are stored on a per-folder basis. If the user has all of those six gig in their inbox then they are probably running into a Thunderbird issue with its local index, not the server index. However, one way to check that would be to use webmail. Webmail and IMAP use the same server index, so when the mail disappears in Thunderbird check with Webmail and see if the messages are gone there as well.

Since you mention this as a single user having a problem, and not all users, that would also lead me to believe it is a client-side issue. Have you followed the instructions from Mozilla for rebuilding the thunderbird database? https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/rebuilding-global-database

Even back when I ran version 9 I never had an issue with mail disappearing and reappearing via imap, but then I switched to 10 before 9.84 was released. Whenever I did see those types of problems it was always the email client, and the first releases of outlook 2016 were famously bad about it. Many companies reverted to older versions of office just because of those problems.

Is your user with the problems running the same version of Thunderbird as the rest of your users? Do you have other users with large mailboxes?

R4LRetro

Post by R4LRetro » Wed May 27, 2020 7:18 pm

dbly wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:55 pm
This is a community discussion forum, not a priority support forum, but you still got a next business day response from Mail Enable on how to force an index rebuild. If you need a faster response, support tickets can be created from the main website under "Support" then "Raise Support Ticket". It is the option directly underneath the option that brought you to this forum.

I should also point out that you are running quite an old branch of MailEnable. While 9.84 is the most recent version in that branch, Version 10 was released in November 2017. That is the branch that most of us run, so if you want community support from other mail administrators then you will want to highly consider upgrading to the version that the rest of us use. If you want to stick on version 9 that is fine, but your support options are more limited and you may have to use paid support instead of community support.

As you discovered when you rebuilt the index, it doesn't take very long. One probable reason nobody replied because by the time they could have entered a response the rebuild would have been complete. Since it gets rebuild every time a message arrives it was probably rebuilt before you ever posted a message about it. One of the reasons why there isn't a lot of activity on these forums is because MailEnable works so well that it doesn't NEED a lot of support, so experienced admins don't need to hang out here on a regular basis.

Indexes are stored on a per-folder basis. If the user has all of those six gig in their inbox then they are probably running into a Thunderbird issue with its local index, not the server index. However, one way to check that would be to use webmail. Webmail and IMAP use the same server index, so when the mail disappears in Thunderbird check with Webmail and see if the messages are gone there as well.

Since you mention this as a single user having a problem, and not all users, that would also lead me to believe it is a client-side issue. Have you followed the instructions from Mozilla for rebuilding the thunderbird database? https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/rebuilding-global-database

Even back when I ran version 9 I never had an issue with mail disappearing and reappearing via imap, but then I switched to 10 before 9.84 was released. Whenever I did see those types of problems it was always the email client, and the first releases of outlook 2016 were famously bad about it. Many companies reverted to older versions of office just because of those problems.

Is your user with the problems running the same version of Thunderbird as the rest of your users? Do you have other users with large mailboxes?
You are right, I apologize for my hotheaded-ness.

I will try Mozilla's guide that you linked first. Honestly, 9.84 performs much better than base 9, and I should have praised the dev team more with that. I wish the Beige WebMail skin worked though. :mrgreen:

We've checked using WebMail as well, and it seems only to be missing from Thunderbird, so I hope rebuilding the database will work.

Thank you for reply, and again, sorry for my rude reply.

R4LRetro

Post by R4LRetro » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:53 am

I think I may be onto something else now.

I noticed the indexing service was stopped yesterday. I started it back up and it runs, but the index logs were full of errors that say:

Code: Select all

ERROR - Encountered a problem while attempting to find an index update request: '.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 1.
I checked the Search Indexing properties and saw that all of our inboxes were left to fully index, yet the logs were not doing anything else except giving me the error shown above. I followed Ian's suggestion on this link: https://www.mailenable.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40664 and now indexing is moving along and I'm seeing real results in the logs now.

Of course, if this has nothing to do with my OP, please do not hesitate to tell me so.