any way to import mail to outlook?

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
merk

any way to import mail to outlook?

Post by merk »

I have an old MEPro install, 7.02, that I need to move to a new server. However, at least one of the mailboxes has over 1 million messages in it. They want to keep all the messages. Is there some way for me to manually import all the .mai files into an outlook pst file?

I found this: https://www.recoverytools.com/blog/mailenable-to-outlook-converter-tool/
Is there a better solution that anyone knows of?

MartynK

Re: any way to import mail to outlook?

Post by MartynK »

Create a new Outlook profile using IMAP and specify to download all email.
Once its downloaded, create a PST file and drag the email in to the PST file from its downloaded location.

Alternately, I moved servers a few times now and I do it this way.

1. Install Mailenable on the new server.
2. Stop all services.
3. Configure all service details to be the same as the old system (belts and braces).
4. Install Handybackup on the old server (they have a 30 day Trial if you dont want to buy, but I also use it for daily backups).
5. Install FTP server on new server.
6. Create a job to Sync the full email (whole Mailenable directory) as a first sync (this does the heavy lift of the first copy).
7. Stop all services on old server (Email will bounce while this is happening, but it will get retried).
8. Run the Sync again (This will copy anything that has changed since the first Sync).
9. While Sync is running, change all your DNS (you will want to have previously changed the TTLs to something low).
10. Start all services on new server (I tend to reboot here to ensure everything is clean)

If you want you can do it domain by domain, but that means you have to do a lot more manual work.

merk

Post by merk »

Thanks for the advice. Actually moving the server i think i can handle since ME has a support article detailing the steps. The problem I was having is that with literally over a million email messages in the inbox, everything was timing out. WIndows would take forever to list the folder contents, and another age to try and delete more then a few thousand at a time. FTP wouldn't work either because it would time out trying to list the contents of that folder.

They finally agreed to just delete most of the older emails since it was a lot of spam. So it's down to a manageable number now.

MartynK

Post by MartynK »

Sure, the big thing I am saying here is use HandyBackup.

I have been using ME for years and HB with it for all sorts of copies, backups etc.

Its a shame something like this is not build in to ME as standard.