List of Attachments?

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
JonH

List of Attachments?

Post by JonH »

Hi,

We use Mailenable on both relay servers and main SMTP outbound server.

Is there a way to generate a list of all the attachment names that are being sent?

This is being asked for by our Security folks to see what is being sent and may need to be blocked.

At the moment just need file name and type, or even just file type like .xls, .csv, etc.

TIA

Jon

Admin
Site Admin

Re: List of Attachments?

Post by Admin »

Hi,

No, sorry, there is not a way to report on this. Generally the emails contents are only examined by the filters. There is a filter to check for file extensions you specify, but no easy way to report on this - maybe sending a notification to an address if you don't have many users. Otherwise it sounds like it would be something needed to be done by developing a plugin.

JonH

Post by JonH »

Hi Admin,

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately we are talking hundreds of relay servers with probably thousands of users.

I will do some searching regarding plugins, if you have any specific links or suggestions let me know.

Jon

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hi,

The MTA pickup event allows you to run an external program on each message passing through the server. Some details are at:

https://www.mailenable.com/kb/content/article.asp?ID=ME020028

So I would expect you need to use something like http://www.mimekit.net/ to load each message, check the attachments and write out the report. The MTA runs multiple threads, so you would need to cope with any contention saving the results, since you don't normally want to make it single threaded to avoid that.