AVG7 Doesn't seem to scan every email

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
Takara

AVG7 Doesn't seem to scan every email

Post by Takara »

I have been arguing with this all day but I can't seem to make it work properly.

I have used the registry fix to get AVG7 onto the list of antivirus plugins (and added the Type DWORD so I could actually edit the options through ME rather than through the registry!)

Running MEMTA -debug I can watch as it supposedly scans the mail messages... now it does sometimes scan messages, generally the first one after I run MEMTA -debug, but after that it just ouputs AST=0 and doesn't seem to run any virus scan.

It doesn't seem to matter whether I send infected or clean emails, there's no consistency in it's scanning, it just doesn't seem to want to play nicely :(

Can anyone out there help me? I'm very confused! :?

Takara.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

AVG vers 7.0

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

HI there,

The first thing you should do is check to see you have the correct command line scanner "7.0.245" and make sure you are using "avgscan.exe" because "avg.exe" does not return a value. The correct switches to be used on the cammand line are "[AGENT]" "[FILENAME]" /ext=* /ARC /NOMEM /NOHIMEM /NOSELF /NOEXPORT. The reason why it is scanning a message every now and then is because AVG cannot handle mutli-threaded events. To make it work correctly change the thread settings to 1 in the MTA thread properties. This will slow the message processing, but it is the only way it can work correctly. One more thing i forgot to mention is make sure you are running the latest version of mailenable professional "1.18" because earlier versions did not have the option to change the MTA thread event value in its properties.

Takara

Post by Takara »

Hmmm... I seem to have version 7.0.0.234 of avgscan.exe
Where can I get the version you mentioned?

By "MTA Thread Properties" I assume you mean the "Maximum Threads" property?

Thank you very much for your help so far, this has been frustrating me for a couple of days!

Takara.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

AVG "7.0.245"

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Well to get version "7.0.245" just use the AVG control center updater.

Regards