mass emailing, are you experienced?

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
cyx

mass emailing, are you experienced?

Post by cyx »

Hello,
we have 800+ contacts in our SQL DB which we send them a weekly newsletter. Recently we have experienced some problems reaching those hotmail accounts and keeping our system resources low on the email blast.
We are using Persits ASPEmail, and we send out emails of 30 contacts on each email (on the BCC), queued, using the ASPEmail.

Have anyone ever had experience with mass emailing?
How would you recommend doing this? What component should we use?

Thanks for reading,
Rafi B.
Rafael B.

paarlberg

Post by paarlberg »

Hi,

Let me know if you find a solution. We may need something similar to this..

Thanks

paarlberg

Post by Guest »

go to gammadyne.com and look at gammadyne mailer. This is how one should be sending out mass email (not spam). It has so many built in functions, that it is not even funny.

You can not only send out emails but you can check incoming emails and do what I call round robin. Say you have 5 c/s reps and all emails go to custserv@mycompany.com and each have their own mailbox, called like csr1@mycompany.com etc. you can set up gammadyne to check custserv@ and then give the first to csr1, the 2nd email to csr2, the 3rd to csr3, etc.

You can do substutions in the letter, you can do both text and html, you can include file info in an email, you name it, you can do it with gammadyne mailer.

Its only $149, you can download it and play with it and read about it before buying even. It will do direct delivery (not tasking your smtp server) or give them to your smtp server. Works just fine in conjuction with ME.

I use it for an opt-in list, order tracking emails, order confirmations, etc. and send maybe 2 million or more emails a year with it.

chris

sunpost

Post by sunpost »

we have been using Spd E-Letter for a few years. it had a high rating at aspin and we have no problems with it.

the Gammadyne Mailer looks pretty good too :!:

nathand

Post by nathand »

I wrote a perl script that reads from our database and then sends out the mail through ME. It works quite well for me.

cyx

Great app

Post by cyx »

I've found an excellent product that was highly recommended to me.
http://www.activecampaign.com/12all/

For what it can do, it's extremely cheap, and looks very promising!
Just 97 dollars. I was wondering if anybody else is using this app
or has any other recommendations?
Rafael B.

jaiume

Post by jaiume »

We have a bespoke solution that uses Dundas Mailer. We send out about 8,000 emails weekly, also out of an SQL server Database via our Mail Enable mail server.

We send one email per person in our database. If you are having problems with resourses and yahoo on mail enable, I suggest the following :

1. Reduce the number of sending SMTP threads to about 3-5, ours is set to 3

2. Reduce the number of MTA threads to about 5, the default is 64, which if you are virus checking, can create huge load on the mail server

3. To get through to Yahoo accounts, increase the number of incoming SMTP threads to a large number, we have it set at 200! This because some mail servers will attemt to connect to a sending mail server before allowing a mail to get through.

Hope this helps
Jamie

nathand

Post by nathand »

jaiume wrote: 1. Reduce the number of sending SMTP threads to about 3-5, ours is set to 3
I always increase my number of sending SMTP threads when I am using a mail server to send out mail. Within reason, the more outbound SMTP threads, the faster your mail gets delivered. I'm using about 100 right now and it works great. And when we do a customer mailing, I can send out 10K emails in a few hours or less. With the value set to the default (8?) it would take all night.

cyx

Post by cyx »

1. Where do you set the number of SMTP threads?
2. Where do you set the MTA threads?
3. And where is the incoming SMTP threads?

Is it in the registry or console?
Rafael B.

Post by Guest »

the reason you want lower numbers instead of higher numbers is that if you send too fast to some folks (aol for example), they will simply take all your emails and dump them.

They monitor the incoming emails and set some limits. Sure you can try to send 100 threads at once and aol will accept them before the trashcan them.

MrByte

Post by MrByte »

cyx wrote:1. Where do you set the number of SMTP threads?
2. Where do you set the MTA threads?
3. And where is the incoming SMTP threads?

Is it in the registry or console?
RTFM....
I know it is easy to just ask, but this forum provides an even better source of combined knowledge when searching...... and there is also the KB on ME's site.

It wouldn't hurt anyone to do a little legwork......

Most of the settings are accesible via the MMC unless you are running an older version.
.MrByte

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:the reason you want lower numbers instead of higher numbers is that if you send too fast to some folks (aol for example), they will simply take all your emails and dump them.

They monitor the incoming emails and set some limits. Sure you can try to send 100 threads at once and aol will accept them before the trashcan them.
Don't send in domain order then. :-) That way the aol messages will be mixed in with the others.

Post by Guest »

even if you do not send in domain order (which would be stupid), they still monitor the number of emails and on some lists, aol can account for 35 to 50% of the list.

Suerly you have gotten spam where they stick bogus (random) words or numbers and the reason they do this is to try to fool the mail server.

Plus you have to worry about greylisting, you can overwhelm your mailserver if you send too fast if they are greylisting.

I send around 150,000 every 2 weeks, and have been doing this for some time (about 3 or 4 years). what do I know...

albatross

E-mail Broadcast Solution

Post by albatross »

Probably the best solution is an e-mail marketing tool such as dotfusionexpress.com

There ip addresses are clean, unsubscribes are managed with on click and recipients can automatically update their profile. What is better is that you can track who opens, clicks and passes on the e-mail.

You can e-mail me at info@dotfusionexpress.com to share more ideas about this.