Bug - mail box size limit changes

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
janzalone

Bug - mail box size limit changes

Post by janzalone »

I recently downloaded ME Pro and set up a number of domains initially with a limited mail box size. One of my clients requested that the size limitation be removed, which I did through the MMC by deselecting the Mailbox has size limit checkbox. The mail box size limits were still enforced and only by removing the _DIRSIZE.TMP file from each affected folder could I disable enforcement of the size limitation.

This caused significant grief as I kept telling my client that there were no limits imposed, but they never got any emails with large attachments. Only after carefully reviewing the logs was I able to figure out what was happening. Credibility is tough to maintain in these situations.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

The dirsize.tmp file is automatically re-created if it is more than 5 minutes old. It therefore may take upto 5 minutes to be effective. Also, this file only records the current size, not the quota limit; so removing it should not have really made a difference other than forcing a new one to be created with an updated size reported in to. (its a text file, you can inspect the reported size within).
Regards, Andrew

janzalone

Post by janzalone »

Thank you for the response.

The mail box size limit was lifted over 12 hours prior to receiving the next complaint of undelivered mail, well outside the 5 minute update. I had noticed that the file was recreated and contained the value that I had enetered for the size limit, having unchecked Limit mailbox size, the file has not been recreated.

I will try to reproduce the events and post the results.

labsy

Post by labsy »

I have problems with mailbox quota, too. But here is the problem just the oposite - mailboxes have no limit, regardless of 20 MB limit setup in main settings for PostOffices.

The only limit that works properly is outbound/inbound mail max size - this limit is obey by ME, while mailbox limit is not.

I think it is because when I was setting ME up, I set "unlimited" mailbox size, setup few domains, and only then I changed limitation down to 20 MB. So old mailboxes have no limits, but since there are more than 1500 of them, I do not have time to chenge one by one.

criz

Related Bug

Post by criz »

I had the SMTP Properties maxiumum size set to 25MB. This morning I changed (and applied) the setting to 0 (which is supposed to equal unlimited). However after starting and stopping the SMTP service and then not receiving emails for 30-60 mins, I checked and all incoming emails were being bounced as being bigger than 0 bytes!

Putting the limit back up to 25MB fixed the problem, but still that really needs to be fixed. :cry: