How to rename an email account?

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.

How to rename an email account?

Post by Guest »

I have a user that wants to change the email account name. I can't see to find a way to do it.

Please help

Thanks

MartynK

Post by MartynK »

I think the simplest way to do this would be to create a new account, then copy all the mail files from the old account directory on the server to the new account directory. Then just delete the old account.

Post by Guest »

Your kidding right? That's a joke... cannot rename a user email account? WTF?

Thanks for the info though.

DavidPayer

wtf?

Post by DavidPayer »

Anonymous wrote:Your kidding right? That's a joke... cannot rename a user email account? WTF?

Thanks for the info though.
Actually, the official way is to format your hard drive.

Reinstall windows.

Install ME.

Create a new postoffice. Add correct email address.

Throw out old computer.

D
When you get to the fork in the road . . . take it!

Post by Guest »

I would like some support here! I have credits.... what is the answer to this issue? Tried to submit a ticket, but the dang system wouldn't do anything. It just would sit there and not bring up the page.

I find it very unprofessional that you cannot "rename" an email account. What's the big deal with that anyways? This is a "basic" feature... and should be available!

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

In regards to your problem with the support request page, we are unaware of any issues with the support page, however if you continue to have problems then i suggest you emailing sales@mailenable.com and they will look into the issue.

Regarding your requests about renaming mailbox names, it is not possible in the MMC because of several reasons. It can affect the other services that use the mailbox name. (Eg the mailbox is part of group). It can also affect the way hosting controller panel software which intergrates with mailenable to manage mailbox accounts. What is the reason why you want to change the mailbox name? You could do this manually by copying the contents of the message folders, deleting the mailbox, recreating it and then copying the message folder contents back into the new mailbox folders location.

I have forwarded your suggestion to the developers and a utility will be put up on the Mailenable site for downloading which will be available for downloading in the next week approx. and will allow you to do this. The future release of Mailenable Enterprise will incorporate this feature.

Regards,

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Rename Mailbox utility

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

The utility to rename mailboxes is now available from here:
http://www.mailenable.com/utilities/add ... ailbox.zip

Regards,

AdamC

Re: How to rename an email account?

Post by AdamC »

Few things in reply:
- This should be in the app - not a executeable.
- It renames the mailbox, but doesn't change the addresses.